Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Satellite Phone  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
Satellite Phone
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:48:09 pm »
Is there anyone out there that has a satellite phone. If so please PM me as I also have one and being ignorant on Ham thought this might be a good way to communicate with the survival world when it hits and most phones don't work.   Like someone else said much earlier, if by one there is not much hope but many like minds can accomplish much. I may not (no, I can not) run and gun like I could 25 years ago nor am I as strong physically but I can still stand or lie and shoot if I can see it. It will eventually get to satellites but I don't think as quick.

I swear on my honor to defend the Constitution of the United States of American against all enemies both foreign and domestic.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Dinkidao

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Satellite Phone
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:21:04 am »
It will depend on who put the satellite in orbit, and whether it will still function. 

Just like the GPS satellites, the US put most, of not all, into orbit and the US Military controls the ones that the US launched.  They can disengage them at will.  Most people don't realize that it takes three GPS satellites to navigate on the ground, and I believe 5 for aircarft to navigate.

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:57:35 pm »
I knew about the more sats in view the better and also that it took 3 to triangulate properly all that it does. Mine is the same as U.S. Military uses I think. Starts with the letter G. My phone looks like the ones I have seen when video is up of our military in the desert calling but I suppose they could shut down the civilian side but think it might not be thought of at first because there are so few in use.

PM coming also.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:36:16 am »
I had always believed that sat phones were very, very expensive. Is that true?
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
Depends on where you live or lived or have  Agriculture(animal or farm) land.
The government had (not sure if still is in place )a program for under served rural areas to be able to keep tabs on fertilizer theft ect.. (Dept. Home Land Security) I had no land line and poor cell service there. Still have canyons with no service so if I fall and break something maybe can contact help if I can connect with satellites.
Mine(3) cost $50 dollars and about $13(with taxes) per month for 300 minutes. Hardly ever use it but kept only 1 of the three in service in case of something Obamanics. Still have one not in service in the closet, so not sure what it would cost to put in back on line but for sure without the cost of buying a new one. Would sell about half cost of new one retail if someone wanted.
If your place was in or around Matador or Mobetee the initial cost was free.
Check with Pampa  Communications in Pampa, they were the gov distributor 8 or 9 years ago when I got mine.
I had checked about that time and for a person with only ties in say Amarillo it was about $2000 and something like $2.50 per minute.

Rancher
pm or call gets me sooner    477-0210

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »
Isat and Iridium minutes, using pre-paid plans, both work out to very close to the $1 per minute mark.
Phones are often on sale for $329 (Isat), and $569 (Iridium)

http://www.satphonecity.com/

Offline Texas Titan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:31:10 pm »
What ever happened to the good 'old days when people used CB radios?
Linear amplifiers.
Dual antennas.
Goofy code talking and radio handles.

Personally, I think it would be a God-send if cell phone service was wiped out. I hate the danged things.

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:11 pm »
What ever happened to the good 'old days when people used CB radios?
Linear amplifiers.
Dual antennas.
Goofy code talking and radio handles.

Personally, I think it would be a God-send if cell phone service was wiped out. I hate the danged things.

:lol:
I remember those days well   :lol:
I would guess they are sill fine......as long as you are in the flats!
My wife and I use about 100 to 150 minutes per month, and our usage range is 95% to each other.
I've tried radios of all kinds in the rough here, including business band UHF and VHF. None work really well at all.

If you are out alone, often, through the mesa's and canyons on foot or by vehicle, a sat phone, in an emergency, would be the only means of getting help, and allowing others to find you.
That can make the difference of surviving, or having your eyeballs picked out by crows.

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
Thanks for the up date. My phones are the Iridium and I supposed that prices might have come down after nearly 10 years. I know when I checked then the minutes were around $3 minute and phone could be rented or bought for around $2000.
I have the accessories to be able to hook up external antennas in a vehicle to be able to talk from it. With just the hand held unit and it's antenna it usually will not work from inside.

Rancher