Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Blowguns?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Blowguns?
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:55 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seemed to be the closest to the subject.

Brett and I bought a few inexpensive blowguns at a gunshow a few years ago and I decided to get them out again today and play around with them.  One is a 12" the other 18".  They are entertaining and pack quite a wallop close up.  They are really not that difficult to get the hang of (aiming).  I could see using them to hunt rabbits, squirrels and such.    Anybody else have one?
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Offline joshua79109

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blowguns?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:12:00 am »
I have one that I've messed with a lot now and I think they could be a really great tool to keep around. 

Here is the one I got

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/388524/cold-steel-professional-625-caliber-blowgun-4-foot-one-piece-alumium-black

I've used some different projectiles
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/564284/cold-steel-625-caliber-mini-broad-head-dart-steel-and-polymer-orange-package-of-50
and
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537441/cold-steel-625-caliber-bamboo-dart-polymer-and-bamboo-orange-package-of-50
and then one other projectile that has a 'ball' on the end for knocking stuff down. 

They will easily take birds and little animals like rabbits and opossums (for example). 

They are kinda fun to use and you really can get real accurate with them with some practice. 

Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
I got one here, an 18".
I would use it for birds. (like shining them at night while roosting). If close enough to use it on rabbits, a sling shot would work better.
Handy and fun too.
Used it in place of darts, on a dart board game.

Offline rdm

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:31:57 pm »
used to make them when i was a kid.lots of fun and cheap.can also be very deadly close up

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »
I have one that I've messed with a lot now and I think they could be a really great tool to keep around. 

Here is the one I got

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/388524/cold-steel-professional-625-caliber-blowgun-4-foot-one-piece-alumium-black

I've used some different projectiles
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/564284/cold-steel-625-caliber-mini-broad-head-dart-steel-and-polymer-orange-package-of-50
and
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537441/cold-steel-625-caliber-bamboo-dart-polymer-and-bamboo-orange-package-of-50
and then one other projectile that has a 'ball' on the end for knocking stuff down. 

They will easily take birds and little animals like rabbits and opossums (for example). 

They are kinda fun to use and you really can get real accurate with them with some practice.

Nice!  Cold Steel makes a good product.  I was thinking about getting some spikes http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Spike-Blowgun-Darts/dp/B003Y4MMOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366410169&sr=8-3&keywords=blow+darts+40+cal

used to make them when i was a kid.lots of fun and cheap.can also be very deadly close up

That's no joke!  I was sinking them a half inch deep in the cardboard I was shooting at.

Offline vanillo

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Done right, dead before they can hear the shot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »
Try some darts like this.  Slit the point of a bamboo skewer with a razor saw and glue in a piece of the snap-off blade of a utility knife.  Glue a bead just under the diameter of your gun to the other end.   I use 9 mm beads and tubing about 5 long.  My favorite is glued inside a thick wooden  walking stick that I drilled end to end on my lathe.
SHOOT: 177&22pellet,22RF,22Hornet,223Rem,243Win,6.5X55,270Win,7-08,30Luger,7.62X39,30-30,308Win,30-06,32S&WLong,338LapuaMag,9X19,380auto,38spcl,357mag,40S&W,45ACP, 45&50muzzle,410,16,20,12&10ga
RELOAD:above reloadable+222RemMag,7X57,30carbine
HUNT: trespasser,grackle,squirrel,coyote&hog

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »
Good post Huck and I have blowguns we will have to make some
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:13:35 pm »
Try some darts like this.  Slit the point of a bamboo skewer with a razor saw and glue in a piece of the snap-off blade of a utility knife.  Glue a bead just under the diameter of your gun to the other end.   I use 9 mm beads and tubing about 5 long.  My favorite is glued inside a thick wooden  walking stick that I drilled end to end on my lathe.

me messing around with utility blades most likely would end in having to get stitches, lol. Those look pretty gnarly.

Offline DSRAD

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »
Hi everyone!  I sure enjoyed reading this thread.  About 30 years ago I bought a 5 ft blow gun at our local
gun show.  As txwildflower45 pointed out (no pun intended), they're really not that difficult to get the hang of (aiming).  Late one night, as I was enjoying a fresh cup of coffee when I noticed a movement down the hallway.  It was a mouse.  I thought to myself, "you damned dirty rat!"  My blowgun was handy.  One burst of air down the barrel and that mouse was pinned to the carpet.  He was spinning around 9 thousand miles per hour while using the dart as a axle.   I had to stomp on the poor little guy just to end the pain.  It was more my pain than anything.  (Hated to see the suffering).  The next morning my wife was really pissed about the stain in the carpet. ( I really did try to clean it up, but I found that bleach made it worse)   That cheap blowgun costs me 1100.00 in carpet.  My young nepew at the time bent the blowgun beyond use, so I don't have a blowgun anymore, the mouse is gone, we got new carpet and I still have my wonderful wife.  Anyone have a blowgun for sale, cheap?  Private sale only?  Wife does not need to know.

Have a good folks,

Jimmie

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
 :lol: Great visuals .I bough a couple at the flea market pretty cheap
Panhandle PondHoppers