Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Can we survive without being in a Militia Group? How much ammo would we need?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Glockman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 4
  • God Bless America and The Second Amendment
    • View Profile
    • Glock Videos

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
good advice , but I want to see that girl shoot the eye out of a target at 400 yards with a 22lr  :lol:
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline DISPENSER4HIRE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
The answer depends on what type of situation we are talking about, and what defines a Militia group.  In bad times an armed neighborhood watch may be needed to control looters, and prevent rioters from entering a neighborhood.  Is that a Militia?
If we are talking armed resistance to a tyrannical government, then it would be to your advantage to be a member of a Militia group. IF they actually know tactics, and have a training program.  If you think you are going to be a lone wolf, and survive active resistance to a standing army, you are probably dead wrong. You could however: be support for a Militia group, without being "in the field" with the group. I mean provide food, supplies, information, etc.
Ammo is something you can never have too much of, unless you are swimming.
NEVER allow the government to know where all the guns are!
We need not justify the exercise of our rights to would-be tyrants
We are not subjects. We are not serfs. We are not slaves.

Offline dmooreal

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I use to think that the 1000 round theory was correct. Don't know how I originally came up with that number, other than it is what my father believed and kept my whole life and it was what my grandfather did also. However, In light of this recent ammo shortage and other factors like it seems most of our government has lost their minds anymore. I know longer believe that a 1000 rounds is the correct amount but only the starting point!!!  8)

Dinkidao

However, In light of this recent ammo shortage and other factors like it seems most of our government has lost their minds anymore. I know longer believe that a 1000 rounds is the correct amount but only the starting point!!!  8)

Agreed! 
It really depends on what you are preparing for.  Anyone who has ever been in combat knows just how fast you can go through your ammo supply, and if you only have a 1,000 rounds total, it wouldn't last long.

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
if things get bad, witch the prolly will, ammo can be used as barter to get the things you need or run out of.
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I personally believe 1000 rnds per, is plenty.
If you've went through 1000 rounds of ammo in a time of chaos, and haven't replaced it (and/or your weapon) from pillaging defeated foes, then you should lighten your load of all your weapons and ammo and put on your running shoes.

Offline Funtime

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Is that 1000 rounds per person? or household?

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Is that 1000 rounds per person? or household?
Per, individual, corresponding caliber, firearm.

1000 for each gun.

Offline dmooreal

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I'm sure some might disagree but I got this from an LE friend of mine.

On a normal day, carrying no less than three different calibers and always carry a 1000 for each not including what is available in the different mags in addition(no less than three mags for each) and have a few different party favors that you don't carry for friends if the need should ever arise.

I'm not sure I know what the right number to keep available would be to anymore and to have just stored but most of the LE and friends of mine usually keep between 5000 to 10000 rounds per caliber that they own. I think this has to come to a how much storage space you have available.

I figured out the storage for me not to long ago and just for me it would take one pallet stacked five foot high and a second one at three foot.

Dinkidao

I believe in stockpiling ammo for times of need.  However, I only stockpile large quantities (>1000 rds) for the firearms that I am most likely to use during those times.  I do however, keep at least 250 rds in every caliber that I own.  I also keep 100 - 250 rds in some popular calibers that I don't own to use for barter or trade in the future.

As for storage, I prefer military ammo cans, just make sure the rubber seal is in good condition, and I usually throw in a small desiccant pouch.  The humidity in any storage container will be the same as the ambient humidity at the time the container is sealed.  Each can will hold more loose rounds than boxed, in stripper clips, or mags.  My brother prefers vacuum sealed bags with a small desiccant pouch and then stores them in an empty cat food (deli cat I think) container which can be stacked quite easily.

Offline machinegunnertim

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Good article, but many of the points are highly debatable.
I also agree that 1000 should be a starting point and 10,000 should be a goal depending on the weapon and it's usage.

For instance, how many rounds will you be shooting from a bolt action .50 BMG? I would not aspire to obtain 10,000 for that gun.

A semi .22? I think 6000 should be a starting point for a .22 since it's so versatile and the ammo is so light. Everyone knows how easy it is to burn through .22 ammo.

The pistols, are they primary weapons or backup guns? I would be more concerned about large amounts of ammo for my primary weapon (which would probably be a long gun) than my backup. If your long gun is a pistol caliber then that simplifies a few things.

Of course, large amounts of ammo in any caliber is always good for practice or trading.

Offline gyz77

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
The writer states that is children have a 9mm carbine and they are able to engage targets at 400 yards with a detachable scope. With a 9mm? I hope I'm missing something and he doesn't expect me to believe anyone is going to engage a target with a 9mm at 400yds.

Offline Wrighton

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Yea I want some of those bad ass 22s and 9s that are good out to 400 plus yards.  Good stuff.
Thats just crazy talk.

Offline TMILLER

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Yea I want some of those bad ass 22s and 9s that are good out to 400 plus yards.  Good stuff.

I know I can't do it, but would very much like to see it done also.

Offline Wrighton

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
sorta took the credibility away from an otherwise interesting article.  That and the fact that all his family members are experts with any weapon they pick up in the house.  Talk too much shit and gets on ya. 
Thats just crazy talk.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
One thing that sucks about age is I cannot belong the the Texas State Guard not the Texas Militia at 72. I tell you that I cannot move nor run like I could 45 years ago but I am still determined and armed. In 1775 when the call went out for the militia it was for all men 16 y/o and up with a rifle to come to the aid of the coloniest. Why not today. I agree that for protection from the government a band (militia) is far superior to me by my self.
I recently wrote the same to our Governor and we will see if he even gets it.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788