Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What kind of ammo....  (Read 1886 times)

Offline ksmart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
What kind of ammo....
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
Wording #1....

So everyone is talking about stocking ammo for future events, then as you read other posts, people are buying or selling "such and such" ammo for plinking. This led me to a question, what opinions are out there for what ammo you should stockpile for future events? I don't see people doing much plinking during such times....?

Wording #2....

I very much appreciate everyone's reply and willingness to help, but I think my question got misunderstood. As I've been reading talks online about stockpiling ammo, "everyone" (meaning all the people in the conversation), is talking about what "sizes" and "amounts" to have for what guns you have or they think you should have or might find, but I don't see much in the way of what "kind" of ammo or maybe I should say what "type" of ammo should be stocked in everyone's opinion? For example, I have a .223/5.56 AR, some people say keep 1000 rounds, some say that's only enough for your left pocket, (for all you critics that like to reply, it's a JOKE!) but they rarely say what "type" of ammo that 1000 rounds should be for each gun. So of the 1000 rounds per gun (or whatever number your opinion is), how much of it might be regular plinking rounds, tactical, special tip, FMJ, LE, hinting or whatever you want to add as a description here should be? I have my opinion, I'm just looking for other opinions you guys might have? Hopefully this will get what I'm looking for. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:12:43 pm by ksmart »

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of ammo....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:48:10 pm »
Welcome to AGO.

Who is "everyone"?
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline likemindead

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Back Home In Texas
    • View Profile
    • {musings}
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:21 am »
Most folks I know use .17 & .22 rounds for plinking but mostly just hold on to everything else.
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....

Dinkidao

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:50:57 am »
If we are talking purely ammo, I would stockpile ammo that would fit the weapon that I am most likely to use in such a situation.

If we are talking firearms, I would want to have weapons chambered for the most common caliber, or for sure in a caliber common to the US Military or LEO's.  That way you can replinish your deminishing supply from the belts of your fallen brothers, or perhaps enemy.

Ammo that I would recommend would be the following, and in the order listed.  Of course these are just my preference.

Pistol:
  9mm  .45  .22
Rifle:
  .223/5.56  .270  .30-06  .22
Shotgun:
  12ga 2 3/4" 00Buck  12ga 2 3/4"No.4 Buck  12ga 2 3/4"rifled slug

Offline gyz77

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:51:50 am »
I would stick to 9,40,45 for handgun and 5.56 or .308 for rifle. If you want mag I'd stick to 300winmag. Those are the most common used in LEO and Mil.

Dinkidao

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:03 am »
Just as an added note:

I understand the popularity of the .308 and perhaps I should have included it.  However, I suggested the .270 or .30-06 due to their mass production over the years, and the probablility that just about every hunter has one or the other.  I have hunted for more than 45 years, and own both, but I have never owned a .308.

Offline ksmart

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
"Who is "everyone"?"   Seriously?  Please explain what your asking?

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:00 pm »
It sounds like you want someone to sound off with a number. Basically,ammunition turns cash into proficiency or entertainment...or both. Only you can decide when you have a surplus. I am not about to disclose the amount I have, it will never be too much for me.  As long as there are opportunities to introduce new people to shooting, it certainly wont be a surplus.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Offline ksmart

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »
Brother, I'm not sure where you got that I want a "number" at all!!! Opinions on quantities are a dime a dozen. What I'm looking for are for people to add what "type" or "kind" of ammo they would stock when they give the 100 round number (or whatever their number is). I'm not sure why I'm not making since here....Example, if you say I should have 2000 rounds each for my 9MM handgun, or my AR .223, tell me how you would break down the 2000 rounds per gun. Would it be 1000 rounds of LE and 1000 good ole plinker crap for noise makin or tradin? Maybe for the .223 you might say 4000 rounds total breaking it down as 1000 rounds LE and 3000 rounds varmint hunting.....

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »
The only round I would stock up on would be 22lr.

Everything, buy the components and reload them yourself. This way, you won't be paying a premium for hollowpoints or plinking ammo.

As far as stocking up on bulk, I would just stock up on cheap FMJ ammo.

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:52:11 pm »
"Who is "everyone"?"   Seriously?  Please explain what your asking?

You fixed it with your "Wording #2".  Thank you.

It seems, to me that you're asking a very interesting question. We regularly talk about the number of rounds that we keep on hand, but don't often discuss what might be a sensible ratio of Ball to Hollowpoint (or whatever).

I can't be much help here. I mainly reload obsolete rounds that the British Army was banned from firing and, even when I look at regular Brit ball ammo, it often had a twist (like the .303 Mk VII Ball) that made it more deadly than either regular ball or hollowpoint. So my view of Ball vs HP is not representative of the wider community.

But I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say. This could be a very informative discussion, if people feel safe enough to open up.
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline ksmart

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:16 pm »
I'm glad you think this could be a worthy topic. I too noticed no one ever included this information with the numbers they would recommend. I'm just glad I finally said it in a way that someone got what I was asking for, I nearly gave up on it.....:)  lol  So many people have numbers of what they are willing to collect but I'm wondering if they have actually thought about how much of each kind they would actually need such as for hunting. I'm looking for more multi purpose guns because there might be a time you cant carry everything you have. There for, would one waist his hollow's on cutting a rabbit in two to eat or just go cheap and maybe buy all varmint rounds and hope he's a good shot when it's needed for protection? I think if some people feel that they would be giving out too much info and not want to open up to those kind of hard numbers like you suggested, even a few percentage's might help such at 20% this and 70% that and 10% the rest....Anyway, I appreciate your efforts good Sir...Thank you.

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:43 am »
Here's basically how I'm set up...I have a very accurate bolt rifle and a very accurate semiautomatic rifle, same caliber. Their accuracy is dependent on tailored ammunition. I have X amount for each on hand. I have 4X that is  acceptable that works in both, on hand. Some of my guns do have a specific purpose(varmints) so I have them in common climbers. Commonality is key at my place.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Offline ksmart

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »
Awesome info Dave, thanks! If I heard you correctly.....

Rifle 1, X amount custom tailored
                                                              4 X, fits both, can throw by the handfuls if need be...:)
Rifle 2, X amount custom tailored

I love the plan and agree with the commonality! I've heard a few people talk about having a few common calibers that maybe they don't have a gun for but are still common for trading if need be. I've wondered if it would be a worth while investment to buy a couple used and cheap LCP's or similar or 22LR of some sort for trading the entire gun in the future for a few items one might need. You ever had these thoughts or have any comments on the idea?