Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Just Right Carbine  (Read 995 times)

Offline justdave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Just Right Carbine
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »
These have been discussed here a few times previously so, here's a little review for you guys. Because I am a Texan and believe in being a good boy scout, not only do I carry my side arm everywhere, I also have a carbine in the pickup at all times. I've been searching for the perfect carbine for the Mrs to keep in her truck and this just might be it. Although it looks much like my M&P 22 sitting in the safe, looks are as far as it goes. Except for the pistol grip and butt, it's all metal. The hand guard and received are aluminum, all well machined and fit together perfectly. The part that incorporates the magazine well is a separate unit and made to be modular so that in the future different calibers and even magazines from different manufacturers may be used. Which brings me to what inclined me to purchase this gun...it feeds from Glock magazines. My bride is a die hard Glock lady, specifically the 9mm versions, and over the years has accumulated a pile of magazines. This carbine will accept any factory Glock 9mm mag, even the shorty for a G26. This gun is not a converted AR15, it incorporates many of the same basic components but, was designed to be a pistol caliber carbine. When I pick it up I also picked up the CP01 scope that's sitting on it. It's nothing to write home about, it simply fit my criteria (little magnification, holds zero, does not require batteries to function,) and because I already have one on a 22, my wife is familiar with it. The rain Sunday afternoon delayed the range part of the review. I have been out a few evenings this week to test function and ammunition compatibility. So far, after about 250 rounds, I have experienced no problems. In no particular order, through several different mags I've been successful with 124 fmj American Eagle, 115 fmj  Winchester white box, 124 Speer Gold Dot, 147 Speer Gold Dot, 125 lead round nose hand loads, 124 fmj hand loads, 115 Hornady XTP factory and hand loads, and Hornady 124 XTP hand loads. The only thing I don't like is the bolt doesn't lock back when the magazine is empty. Range report pending, work and weather always getting in the way.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:16:40 am by justdave »
Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Offline likemindead

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Back Home In Texas
    • View Profile
    • {musings}
Re: Just Right Carbine
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
I've read/watched quite a few reviews of the Just Right Carbine & have yet to see a negative one. Hope the missus likes it. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
After a little over 400 rounds, mostly reloads, I am fairly impressed with this little rifle and, I have confidence in it. I ran the count up to 300 before I cleaned it but, it was still running like a Timex. It is a pain to clean because you have to remove the buffer tube to remove the bolt, not a problem if you have a wrench for the castle nut. There are no pins either, you have to back out 3 screws. Here's a bad picture of the gun taken down into basic components...

Frank Outlaw

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
I took advantage of the fantastic weather today to shoot some groups and do a final sight in. I sighted in at 50 yards, all groups were shot from sand bags at a casual pace. Spear 124 grain Gold Dots performed best, grouping close to 2 inches, which is about what I was expecting. I had no trouble ringing a 12 inch steel diamond with a little holdover at 100 yards shooting off hand. Sorry, I forgot the chronograph. The action is a straight blow back, no locked breach so, making warm loads is out of the question. From the perspective of a bolt gun lover, this rifle has very limited potential, it just does what it was designed to do very well. I have found a roll for it to fill, the end user is pleased with it and, I probably won't see it for 3 months when it gets a routine cleaning and inspection.

Two side notes worth mentioning, in the future, Just Right may start making the block for the magazine to accept different makes, like XD, Sig, Beretta, etc. Because it is a blow back action, don't expect any 10mm, 357Sig, or other high pressure cartridge models.

Frank Outlaw

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:49:34 pm »
I have had tons of problems with my Just Right Carbine and have sent it back 2 times plus had them send me parts to replace. I too had seem a lot of good reviews but after reviewing those reviews found the most were with 9 mm. Mine is 45 acp with glock magazines. I can not trust my life to it.
Gary aka Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788