Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Educational Event For The Public  (Read 614 times)

Offline likemindead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Back Home In Texas
    • View Profile
    • {musings}
Educational Event For The Public
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »
What if local gun clubs/ranges/enthusiasts were to hold an event for the public once in awhile that encouraged education? Make it a big deal. Have some BBQ/burgers/etc. Raffle off something. Have fun but educate too.

I'm amazed at how many people I've talked to over the years that were all about gun control until I engaged them in polite conversation (e.g. explaining what semi-automatic means) at which point they started to question the laws that their favorite politicians were trying to push. I think it would be really great to see events where responsible gun owners could help educate the public. Guns are confusing and intimidating to many people who have no experience or context with them. Safety would be the primary issue, but let folks see and hold some firearms. Let them ask questions.

Amarillo probably doesn't need this nearly as much as cities in the north, east, or west, of course. Still might be useful. Bridge some gaps rather than just spew rhetoric at each other. Thoughts?
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Educational Event For The Public
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:28:04 am »
I think this would be a fantastic idea!  Might get more interest if it was attached to a charity event.  Maybe sell the BBQ plates and have the profits go to a veteran organization (win/win) and have different classes going on during the day people could attend while eating.  You have to be really careful about raffling an actual firearm to make sure everything is legal.  Or it could be a gift certificate that could be used at some of the local sporting goods stores.  If it is for a charitable event some of them might even donate gift cards for it; maybe only small amount but still it would be something.
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Offline likemindead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Back Home In Texas
    • View Profile
    • {musings}
Re: Educational Event For The Public
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....