Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Help Needed.  (Read 726 times)

Offline Shootinsgal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Help Needed.
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:21:55 pm »
I have never really shot a bow but am interested in trying it out, and am looking for advice on a bow to start out with.  Don't want to go overboard but don't want crap either.  My only issues are that I am female, smaller stature, 5 foot tall, so it may be that something more youth model would be better?  Thinking compound, or long bow don't really but know some here may be able to give me some advice.  Thanks.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:33 am »
If you have never shot  a bow then I suggest you start strength training you back and shoulder muscles. Maybe get a rubber rope type exercise piece and start by holding one end of a 26 inch  length with the other hand pull it like a bow to add strength to those muscles we seldom ever use. What ever is your dominant hand is the one to pull with while standing with the non-dominant foot and arm slightly pointing to target while holding the other end of the rubber. If you don't I promise you will have very sore muscles there after pulling on a 40-50 pound bow.
There is an archery shop that may can help you called 'Panhandle Archery' I think on I-27 south.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline Lono122

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »
My 2 cents. Check craigslist, eBay, and pawn shops- if you are looking to keep it cheap. you can sometimes find great deals.
Going overboard on draw weight can cause sore muscles. But a good starting point would probably be 25-35 pound draw. If you are so inclined a 30 pound bow will put an arrow right through a deer- though there may be restrictions on what is legal to hunt with( I don't know and never hunted in Texas)
As for compound versus traditional bows- that all comes down to preference. I always prefered recurve. But there are ups and downs to each.
Compounds have let off- so the strength required to pull it back has a breaking point and requires very little strength to keep it drawn.
Recurves and straight bows are similar- they can be difficult for some people to string. They require constant strength to keep drawn. They aren't as compact as a compound.

I am rambling.  I would think an inexpensive straight fiberglass bow for under $50 would be the best place to start. If you find you like it, then try( rent or borrow) both recurve and compound to see how you like each. I never could get used to the "snap" of a compound.
Also arrows are a big factor. I always preferred aluminum. But I blame that on have a fiberglass arrow shatter on me- not fun- 
Another thought- make sure you use an arm guard- you can learn to avoid it but the string can bite you- especially when you are starting out.

Here is academy's website for an idea.

http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopNavCatalogSearch?Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&deviceType=true&Ntt=Bow

Offline hemiram12

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:47 pm »
Not big into archery...yet... but i have learned a little here and there. Compound are generally easier to use (especially for smaller statured people), and some out there are adjustable for length of pull and draw weight, but need more maintmance than recurves. As far as getting a good one, bear, pse, and diamond are top brands, and offer entry level bows that aren't too expensive.
If your paying $50+ for a brick of 22, YOUR part of the problem.