Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New to reloading  (Read 1201 times)

Offline dbart7387

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
New to reloading
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:19:09 am »
Well my buddy and I decided to take the plunge and get into reloading. We purchased the Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses in .45 and .223. I built a bench and have them mounted ready to go. Waiting on a few more things to arrive and then we can get started. We have done a lot of research before deciding to do it but I'm sure we will be asking for advise along the way.

Offline hemiram12

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New to reloading
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »
I just started myself not to long ago. Its not to hard if you read the directions and stick to the manuals. Can't really say i'm saving much money just shooting more for the same amount lol
If your paying $50+ for a brick of 22, YOUR part of the problem.

Offline Awesome Bill

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:45 am »
I'm not an expert but have been doing it for a long time. If you have a question just ask. No such thing as a dumb question.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:33 pm »
Amen to awesome Bill.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline crashdummy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:28 am »
I have 50 yrs of reloading training by experience and would be happy to share what I can
Never got into the progressive machines, prefer the old slow but consistent single stage presses.
Just keep in mind, If you load one bad round in a hundred rounds,    you have one hundred rounds of bad ammo.
Have a GREAT day guys ! 

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New to reloading
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:16:31 pm »
Well my buddy and I decided to take the plunge and get into reloading. We purchased the Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses in .45 and .223. I built a bench and have them mounted ready to go. Waiting on a few more things to arrive and then we can get started. We have done a lot of research before deciding to do it but I'm sure we will be asking for advise along the way.
The Lee presses should serve you well, here's a few things that will help...use masking tape to secure the lid on the primer tray, after a little wear, it will vibrate off and make a mess. Keep the primer tray full, it feeds better if there is primers pushing primers down the chute. Keep the primer chute clear, periodically wipe it out with a small screwdriver and a patch. I've been using one for 9mm for a few years now and I think they're good presses, you certainly won't do better for the cost involved. Good luck!

from a location only known to myself and the NSA

Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Offline smitty0351

• Authorized Vendor
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:18:12 am »
I to am new to reloading and have a lee progressive press.  apparently im a little rough cuase i broke the little plastic box on the innards of the big plastic part.  Plastic does not seem right to be there is there anything i can replace all the plastic with or do i have to stay with the plastic?

Offline Dale 45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
Price the plastic parts, then see what it would cost in metal, if you can get it at all. Then order replacement parts from Lee and correct whatever caused the breakage. If it looks as if it may be something that breaks easily, get a spare, they are cheap.