Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: legal  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Livinatthe River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
legal
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »
Dont think I'm running out to buy one but The State Of Texas has made it legal to hunt with a crossbow. I'm mastering shooting my compound so the crossbow doesnt seem like a challenge. This being said,for guys like my father-in-law, it might be a way to get him into bowhunting. He says he does not care for shooting a compound but would shoot a crossbow, but ever it just wasn't legal. Now he can start hunting when we do in september :rockout:!
hunting guns
hunting bows     hunting gear
hunting optics

Offline hoytinak

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: legal
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:20:02 pm »
Do you have any sources on it?  I've always thought a crossbow was only legal for certain handicaps. 

Offline Livinatthe River

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
For sure, had to go look myself. go to tpwl and search crossbow I think it came right up
hunting guns
hunting optics

Offline hoytinak

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 08:33:55 pm »
Cool, while I won't be using one myself, it's good to have more options. 

Quote from: TPWD
TPW Commission Authorizes Crossbows for Early Archery Season
AUSTIN, Texas — In preparation for implementation of new legislation, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has adopted rules allowing hunters to use crossbows during the upcoming special archery-only hunting season and authorizing persons with documented physical disabilities to use laser sighting devices.

Currently, crossbows cannot be used during an archery-only season except by persons with an upper-limb disability. Recent legislative action gave authority to   the Commission to allow any person, regardless of physical ability, to use a crossbow during the archery-only season, provided the person has acquired an archery stamp and a valid Texas hunting license, except in Grayson County. Crossbows may be used in Grayson County during the special archery-only open season (Oct. 3-Nov. 6) only by hunters with an upper-limb disability who possess a physician’s statement attesting to the permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand or arm in a manner that renders a person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow or recurved bow. Any person, regardless of physical ability, may use a crossbow during the general season in Grayson County (Nov. 7-Jan. 3).

The Commission also authorized use of laser sighting devices by persons with a physical disability that renders the person incapable of using traditional firearm sights to hunt game animals and game birds. The provision is limited to lawful hunting hours in open seasons, provided the person possesses a physician’s or optometrist’s statement certifying the extent of the disability. The person must also be assisted by a person who does not have a physical disability, has a hunting license and is at least 13 years of age.

The new crossbow and laser sighting rules are both the result of bills passed by state lawmakers in the 81st Texas Legislature earlier this year. The new rules take effect Sept. 1, 2009.

Anyone planning to take advantage of the new crossbow opportunity during the special archery-only hunting season this October should review the rules and definitions for crossbow hunting in Texas. These are listed under Means and Methods in the Outdoor Annual booklet available at hunting license sales locations and on the TPWD Web site.

Offline Livinatthe River

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:39 pm »
Thanks posting all that. Ya i like my bow but it adds to the brand new bow subforum and that rocks
hunting guns
hunting optics

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:48 pm »
Crossbows were an inferior technology at introduction.  In the Hundred Years War, the French sat in their sieged castles and farted their crossbows in the general direction of the English, who had long bows and would pluck off the Frenchmen pretty much at will.  While the French did win the Hundred Years war, it took them over a century to kick the English out of France and they did it under their most successful commander prior to Napoleon - a little girl.

Offline Livinatthe River

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:50 pm »
Damn that was deep. Thimk what they could have done with the crossbows they have now or the compound bows for that matter.
hunting guns
hunting optics

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:58 pm »
Damn that was deep. Thimk what they could have done with the crossbows they have now or the compound bows for that matter.

Kicked the Muslims out of Spain, prevented the fall of Byzantium and quelled the fires of Islam in Africa and Arabia.

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:23:32 pm »
I think anything that will get more people in the field is awesome. I don't know if I will hunt with a crossbow but I like having the chance to.

Offline LSU Tiger in West Texas

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Who Dat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:25:30 pm »
In the Hundred Years War, the French sat in their sieged castles and farted their crossbows in the general direction of the English.

true, but it's hard to beat a trebuchet loaded with cow, especially when your mother was a hamster and your father was smelled of elderberries...now go away, or I shall taunt you a 2nd time!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:52:47 pm by LSU Tiger in West Texas »
Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints!

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
 I read this also today
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline countrymusicjdb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:41 pm »
i want a crossbow, i suck with regular bows
Well boys I've got 4 bullets and there's 3 of y'all, who wants to get shot twice

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »
i want a crossbow, i suck with regular bows

Get one of these

http://tac15.com/

Offline doorkicker

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
If you can't see it you can't hear it,and if and when those wannabe educated idiots in the White House start taking all that go bang we may not have a choice. My wife wants one pretty bad but is stuck with her bow for now
An unarmed population is much easier to control........Noah Webster

Offline Fuli

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • AK-47, When every orc must absolutely die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »
The idea is not to die for your country. It is to make the other sonofabi$%#@ die for his. G. Patton