Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Long term handgun storage  (Read 1393 times)

Dinkidao

• Trade Count: (0)
Long term handgun storage
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:23:14 pm »
Call me paranoid if you want, but I am one of those guys who keeps a couple of BOB's (Bug Out Bags) packed and ready to go. 
In the past I have kept a firearm and ammo in each bag, and take it out about every so often to wipe it down and lube.
However, I was thinking about placing the firearm and ammo in a vacuum sealed bag along with a desiccant packet. 
That way, I would only check it in the spring and fall when I change out my food and clothing for the up coming season.
Rust would be my greatest concern, especially for the one that I keep in a remote location that is not climate controlled.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Offline rdm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Long term handgun storage
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »
If u vacuum pack it then no air gets to it right? No air no rust. I would use that frog lube generously then vacuum pack it JMO.

Offline hink

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:53 pm »
Assuming no wood components - plastic or metal only - I think that a good cleaning and oiling, followed by warming to a couple hundred degrees, then double sealing in one of those food savers type contraptions would just about guarantee a rust-free weapon the next time you pick it up.

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:24:22 am »
Back in the mid 70's, I was renting an old farmhouse from an elderly gentleman that was from Sweden originally. He came to the U.S. somewhere around 1912 or so. Hearing many rumors about how life here was, he bought a Smith and Wesson break-top .32 shortly after settling in. Seeing he didn't believe he needed it, he put it away for storage, which I came across in the attic of my garage. It was inside a weathered, and rotting old steamer trunk. (this was up in Illinois, just south of the Wisc. border)
He has stored it in a metal tin, which was wrapped in wax paper. Not knowing what it was, I took it to him, since he could barely get around anymore. That's when I found out it was a pistol......that had been in that trunk since at least 1920.
The pistol itself, was in a block of parrafin. Over the next week he slowly melted it out and had the gun all cleaned up. It was like new, after more than 50 years.

Keep in mind, that, when storing anything out "in the boonies", that pack rats, and other types, will chew through most anything, to get at most anything.  Vacum bags sound fine, but they're only good as long as they stay sealed. 
Wax is a great moisture sealer, and good old VO5 hairspray is a good source in a handy spray can. While I'm not suggesting you encase your pistol in melted wax, any metal container that you might put it in, could be sprayed well with hairspray around the lid, or seal to help keep moisture from getting at it. It helps form a better seal around ammo cans too, after they're already locked down.

Really? Two BOB's?
That all? You might want to pick up a few more packs before you consider yourself paranoid.
I have many such packs, and don't consider myself to be paranoid at all. Why? Because there are always occassions, unexpected emergencies that pop up, and you end up using at least something.......out of your BOB, to help you get through it.
Paranoid, is just a word tossed around by those that choose to live in denial.

Dinkidao

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:49:49 am »
Thanks! All interesting comments.

I hadn't considered wax, but I want to be able to open the package and use the weapon without having to spend a lot of time cleaning it.
I did think about a good coating of grease, but it is very difficult to keep the grease form being vacuumed out, thus preventing the seal.
Also, you don't want to coat your ammo with grease.
I think I'm going to try a light coat of gun oil, vacuum seal, and store in a ammo can or one of those water-tight plastic storage containers, and then bury underground.
Think I'll try this with a piece of steel and a piece of iron bar first. 
I'll give you a report next January!

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:04:05 pm »
The wax is easy. Simply have your gun wrapped up in something else first, like a vacum bag, or zip-lock.

Even the Germans use it.
In the pic is magazines from the 70's. The two, lower left, are wrapped in a gauze material impregnated with a soft wax.
It peals right off, with very little residue left behind.

Dinkidao

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:02:16 pm »
Thanks, Joe.  I think I'll try that too.
It made me think of the wax/fabric on a wheel of cheese, waxed twine, or waxing my bow string!