Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hunting Lake Meredith  (Read 3139 times)

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Hunting Lake Meredith
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »
If any of ya'll would like any info on hunting the lake this might be worth checking out.

LMNRA hosts hunterís open house 

on 11-08-2009 10:03

BY BROOKE HUFF
ASSOCIATE EDITOR
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area is helping area hunters better prepare for the upcoming hunting season by hosting a huntersí open house.
The program will take place at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 14, 2009, at the Sanford-Fritch Junior High School cafeteria, 536 Eagle Blvd., in Fritch. Park rangers from LMNRA, as well as game wardens and biologists from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will be present to answer any questions about hunting in the park. Hunting maps and other literature will also be available. Anyone interested in hunting, wildlife habitat and conservation is encouraged to attend the informational meeting.
This year, Rozanna Pfeiffer with LMNRA said, there will be a few changes to the hunting season throughout the Panhandle, with a split dove season, a much longer white-tailed deer season, and changes to the special youth white-tailed deer seasons. The major change to the white-tailed deer season, Pfeiffer said, will be the allowing of hunters to take either sex. Seasons and bag limits have already been set by Texas Parks and Wildlife, in conjunction with the National Park Service, to allow an increase in the populations of some species, while providing more opportunities for hunters by extending the white-tail season.
The gate at Mullinaw Crossing will remain closed through the first week of mule deer season, November 21-28, but will be opened November 29 through the end of white-tailed deer season, January 3, 2010. Pfeiffer said, however, that the gate may be closed at any time during this period due to circumstances such as severe weather, high water and threats to public safety.
Hunting and fishing at Lake Meredith are permitted in accordance with applicable federal and state laws, she said. The National Park Service, however, does regulate the proper use of the park, while Texas Parks and Wildlife manages the harvest of fish and wildlife within the park. No hunting or firearms are allowed at anytime within the Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument, Pfeiffer said.
As an increased safety measure, all hunters within the boundaries of Lake Meredith are required to wear blaze orange during white-tailed deer season, as well as the special youth white-tailed deer late season. In addition, Pfeiffer said that, during the special youth hunt, all accompanying individuals should also wear blaze orange. According to federal regulations, this should consist of both a hat and vest with a combined total area equaling 400 square inches, and should be worn conspicuously above the waist. Migratory bird hunters on the waters of Lake Meredith will be exempt from this requirement, she said.
The 2009-2010 hunting season at Lake Meredith will be as follows:
Mourning dove: September 1-October 25 and December 26-January 9
Quail: October 25-February 28
White-tailed deer:
Archery season: October 3-November 6
General season: November 7-January 3
Special youth season: October 31-November 1 and January 4-17
Mule deer:
    General season: November 21-December 6
September Teal season: September 12-27
*At the time of publication, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had not issued final dates for teal seasons in Texas. The dates for a 16-day season are September 12-27, however, there is a possibility that federal action could result in a 9-day season. If that is the case, Pfeiffer said, the season would begin one week later and run from September 19 through September 27. When the final teal season dates are known, the department will make every reasonable effort to notify the public. Interested persons can contact the department for final teal season dates by calling 800-792-1112, or visiting the TPWD web site at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/season/animal/listing
Turkey:
    Spring turkey: April 3-May 6
    Special youth season: March 27-28 and May 22-23
Pheasant: December 5-January 3
For more information on the 2009-2010 Texas hunting season, visit: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/season
For more information on hunting at LMNRA, contact the park headquarters at 806-857-3151.

Online chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Lake Meredith
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:13 pm »
I saw that in the paper today, and was thinking of going.
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:30:47 pm »
Alot of good info here I think I will go to.
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline Livinatthe River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:06 pm »
Thanks for the post.
hunting guns
hunting bows     hunting gear
hunting optics

Offline Tex

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:11:25 am »
Won't be able to make it... :-\  Maybe you guys can fill me in afterward... haha.

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:04 pm »
It looks like this year they are opening up Whitetail for the entire season in the past it has only been open the two weeks of Mule deer season. Maybe it won't be so crowed now since you have longer to hunt.

Online chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »
Well, I'm fixin' to head on down to this. Anybody else going?

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 06:06:16 pm »
 I forgot all about this also I just got off take good notes and report back here lol
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:10 pm »
Did you just assign homework? :o

Online chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:47:18 pm »
Did you just assign homework? :o

I think he did. I guess I'd better turn it in, though I don't have high hopes for my grade.

I went along, just to listen and hopefully learn something. Most of it went over my head, but here's a few things I remember:

Deer - the TX Parks and Wildlife guy covered this. It was mainly about the extended season, can now bag two white tail with no antlers, etc and not shooting muleys when you're looking for white tail. Somebody asked about hybrids. The rule was, if in doubt, don't pull the trigger. Apparently the definitive test is a little gland on their ankle, which is a white spot for white tail and a big long hairy thing for mules. There was something about the antlers that I didn't understand. There are too many white tails, out-breeding and out-foraging the mule deer, so they really need culling.

Archery - crossbows are now allowed and are treated like longbows.

Some gate or other - will be closed during archery, opened sometime during rifle. Apparently this is quite important - I didn't have a clue where it was, but I'm sure those of you who know the area will know what they were talking about.

Concealed handguns - CHL holders couldn't carry, then could, then coudn't again and, next year will be able to again. The park ranger was careful to stick to the law, but gave a positive impression as to how individual cases might be approached. If you know what I mean. ;)

Hogs - there was some debate over whether there are any. The official line is that there are none, but several hunters reported having seen them. For now, we can't hunt them, but should report any sightings. If they get out of control, the parks service might even declare a bounty on them and turn us all loose.

Offline Livinatthe River

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:26:37 am »
thanks for the info
hunting guns
hunting optics

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 11:13:29 am »
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline skullsniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »
The gate he is talking about is Mullinaw crossing out at Mcbride.
You cant fix stupid....Not even with duct tape.

Offline etsanger

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15:33 pm »
I went out there last year and tried to hunt some dove, but saw 1 and didn't even get to shoot at it.  Talked to the park ranger and he said not many people were having luck, but we have gotten some rain this year so maybe it'll be a little better.  Anyone know of places to go dove hunt there?  I'm not from here originally so I just kinda ended up in the lower plum creek area and the SW parts.  Anyone know anything about the parts closer to the lake?

Offline rowdy71

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:17 am »
Hey red, we need to plan a deer camp out there this year. Heck we might even do some hunting!

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:20:57 pm »
I'm game

Offline GT4570

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:54 pm »
I went out there last year and tried to hunt some dove, but saw 1 and didn't even get to shoot at it.  Talked to the park ranger and he said not many people were having luck, but we have gotten some rain this year so maybe it'll be a little better.  Anyone know of places to go dove hunt there?  I'm not from here originally so I just kinda ended up in the lower plum creek area and the SW parts.  Anyone know anything about the parts closer to the lake?
Last year was a dry year. When I go to Plum Creek I stay on top and glass for ponds on the river looking South then hike to a pond. You might try South Canyon in the mornings or late evenings. I think the water is in shotgun area at Bugby. Might try up and down the creek at Blue West also.

Offline Livinatthe River

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »
There seems to be a lot of water down the river this year. Maybe the dove will be better. I know where some sunflowers grow that is a great place to dove hunt, just a little walking. Anyway we were down there and it seemed pretty sloppy.
hunting guns
hunting optics