Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: DNA database  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Lono122

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile

Offline gunjunkie

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: DNA database
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:50 pm »
That's just crazy, and another reason why I'll never join facebook.
"He who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:18:52 am »

Facebook is not really to blame in this situation; Ancestry.com is the one that made DNA publicly searchable thus allowing law enforcement access likely without need of a warrant.  FB has actually been very beneficial in finding many lost/kidnapped/runaway children.
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Offline gunjunkie

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 03:54:32 pm »

Facebook is not really to blame in this situation; Ancestry.com is the one that made DNA publicly searchable thus allowing law enforcement access likely without need of a warrant.  FB has actually been very beneficial in finding many lost/kidnapped/runaway children.

"The situation got weird in the car. As they drove, the cops prodded Usry for details of a 1998 trip he’d taken to Rexburg, Idaho, where two of his sisters later attended college—a detail they’d gleaned by studying his Facebook page."
"He who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:24:40 am »

"The situation got weird in the car. As they drove, the cops prodded Usry for details of a 1998 trip he’d taken to Rexburg, Idaho, where two of his sisters later attended college—a detail they’d gleaned by studying his Facebook page."

They really didn't need fb to get that information; that just happened to be the source in this situation.  They could have even gotten it on a website like Amarillo Gun Owners.  It's not like this site has any security.  Anyone could join and search your old post and find out all kinds of info about you.  I used to find people for a living and with the right databases I could just about tell you the last time you picked your nose.
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:34:10 am »
Wow, have considered getting my DNA done, as I, like many, are curious about their genetic past, however this was one idea that has actually kept me from doing so. Like the article said, law enforcement would be loathe to destroy potential evidence outta the kindness of their hearts and especially for the sake of upholding the privacy of the citizenry in which they supposedly serve...

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:37:07 pm »
Familial DNA has been a thing for a while now. The article is right to point up the false positive aspect and we should be reminded of Blackstone's Ratio.

On cops, I knew one back in the UK who regarded it as his duty to destroy all evidence once a defendant had been found not guilty. His position was that the person was legally innocent and therefore the state had no business holding evidence on them.
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:15:10 am »
Familial DNA has been a thing for a while now. The article is right to point up the false positive aspect and we should be reminded of Blackstone's Ratio.

On cops, I knew one back in the UK who regarded it as his duty to destroy all evidence once a defendant had been found not guilty. His position was that the person was legally innocent and therefore the state had no business holding evidence on them.
Oh I know it's been a thibg but I have a tendency to see the Orwellian aspect of such ventures, perhaps to my detriment lol
Kudos to that UK cop for doing what most might not, even if their beliefs were the same...