Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Theory.....  (Read 190 times)

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Theory.....
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:53:32 am »
I wanted to throw his out there.....I don't believe it's ever been a mentioned issue that has had any attention paid to it.
It has to do with flat tops vs, contour tops.
Yeah, you may be wondering "what the hell is he talking about?".
Well, it is an issue concerning any individual's eyesight, that may make him/her, more efficient with one type of firearm over another.

Take two common platforms, like Glock and Berreta. One flat, the other with a contour top.
I happen to be far-sighted, with astigmatism in one eye. I shoot much better, more consistent, with the contour top.
I believe it may have to do with reflections over the top of the frame. The contour top reflects in a way that gives extra dimension/lines, that direct down range. Especially where it counts, at more distant range, when you have the muzzle a bit more skyward allowing more of the top to be visible.
With my vision, shooting prone/freehand, 2 hand grip, I don't get both sites in focus at the same time. My focus then, kinda jumps back and forth then you might say, so the reflection along the sides of the contoured top act like an assist I don't get with a flat top.
I think it's a topic for discussion. Everyone has their own preferences, but we may not actually put our finger on some of the "why's".
I know both Glocks and Berreta's shoot dam good out of the box, but if certain individuals have conditions that can be identified, that would allow them to recognize that one design would suit them better over the other, it could help them at the range, and when considering selections for a new purchase.
Design may have more effect with a person's depth perception, eye sight, and how far apart their eye's are, but we may not give it enough thought, and blame other issues for not liking a certain type pistol.
Thoughts? Experiences?
Kind Regards

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Theory.....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:35:07 am »
Another big difference between the two platforms is that the Glock is striker fired, while the Beretta is DA/SA.

I've always loved my Berettas but I recently got a Glock 17 Gen 4 and,  the first ever time I shot it, I was surprised to find that I was more accurate with it than I was with either my 92FS or my 92A1.

I too am far-sighted, so maybe some people are more suited to striker fired, others to DA/SA?
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Theory.....
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 12:26:03 am »
Another big difference between the two platforms is that the Glock is striker fired, while the Beretta is DA/SA.

I've always loved my Berettas but I recently got a Glock 17 Gen 4 and,  the first ever time I shot it, I was surprised to find that I was more accurate with it than I was with either my 92FS or my 92A1.

I too am far-sighted, so maybe some people are more suited to striker fired, others to DA/SA?
I'm sure that's possible (as most things are), but I'm not certain what general reason would be.
I was also considering revolvers too, in respect to my case, and judging accuracy by distance. That is, holding accuracy at distance with any contour top, and gradually loosing it with flat tops (more left/right variance, Distance is just my opinion on shooting, where distance is the deciding factor considering accuracy......like a rifle. What good would a wore out rifle be if it couldn't hold any accuracy beyond 80 yards? ). I also get a bit faster/better target acquisition with the contour than I do with the flat.
I shoot the same with a flat top, or contour at 50ft. The break-off point probably comes into play around 60 to 75 yards. That is where the sight platform begins to overwhelmingly dominate the target, since the target at distance (of course) appears so much smaller.
Glocks are great. I like the feel and grip better than the 92 for my hand size. Now, I haven't owned a Glock or any other flat top in 9mm, but I have practiced with a few and still couldn't get the accuracy/consistancy at distance like I can with a contour, whether it's an old CZ or a 92, or a Blackhawk.
The only logical explanation I can come up with, is the value (to me) of the extra straight lines of reflection pointing downrange that the contours provide.
Considering if you took a G17 and a 92 with both having the same creep, pull, and break on the trigger. Yeah, there is bound to be small differences, but what if you tweaked them to be identical?
Do you have a video camera that will shoot at 120 fps? Put it at your 3 o-clock and take turns shooting your 17 and 92, with your target at 50ft, then at 100yds.
What differences do you end up with? What would be a logical theory to explain your particular difference in accuracy?