Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Denied at background checked  (Read 140 times)

Offline Lono122

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
Denied at background checked
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:56:01 pm »
Has anyone ever been denied the purchase of a gun and had to go through an appeals process. I know for certain my status has not changed, but today I went to pick up a pistol and was turned down.
I have already gone and had the fingerprints done. But they won't even tell me why I was turned down- because I may not be the person they intended to deny.
My understanding of the appeal is as follows.
1- get fingerprinted and mail in the form.
2- wait.
3- wait some more and keep calling to check on status.
4- get it all cleared up and get your gun 60-90 days later.

I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem. And if so how long did it take.

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Denied at background checked
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »
Sorry to hear that. I'm certain that you're not the person they intended to deny, but I bet he has a similar name to yours.

I've never been denied but, before I had my CHL (now LTC) I always got delayed. I did some digging and found out that it was because I was born overseas. They had to make sure that I wasn't an illegal and, apparently, the FBI would email the info request to ICE, who would eventually reply by fax - creating the delay.

There are probably too many variables for you to extrapolate how long it might take from other people's experiences, though. To give a tangential example, when I first got my CHL, the wait times were long and there was a lot of discussion of the process. One factor was that the DPS had to check with the Sheriff of every county that you'd lived in - so people who'd always lived in the same county would get theirs faster than people who'd lived in several.

But you can't even extrapolate from that, because it could be the opposite. If, say, the person they intended to deny was a Florida native and you were born in Texas, that could let them clear you PDQ.

It sounds like you're going through the process for getting a UPIN (question 9 on form 4473). Did you first try re-submitting the form with your social security number on it (question 8)? I really dislike giving out my SSN, but it might speed things up. If that works, you could still do the UPIN thing, so that you won't have to give out your SSN forever.
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:42:09 am »
I don't know where you were trying to buy but they should give you a number that you can call to find out why. They are not supposed to tell you anything but should offer the number to call. Besides they probably don't know the reason.
Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:49:07 pm »
My understanding of his post was that it was the BATFE or some other law enforcement entity that was stingy with the details, not the FFL.

I know him quite well and am as confident of his ability to clearly communicate what he means to say (in this case, "they" being the BATFE, etc.) as I am of his eligibility to purchase a firearm.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 05:50:11 pm »
The FBI was what I was taslking abvout and not the store, except to say the store isn't supposed to tell you why and I don't think they know why. But, there is a phone number Or was when I was in the business, to call to explain why the denial.
Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:10:51 pm »
I think it's clear that he's well past the point of asking for a phone number from an FFL, so I'm not sure why you keep going on about it.

And as for Academy, I don't shop there anymore. Not since some tosser asked me ten times if I was a citizen. FFS! I swore an oath and I meant it, which is likely more than that pathetic douchebag did.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:13:30 pm by chartreuse »

Offline Lono122

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:10 pm »
Robert. You are correct, I called the feeb number minutes after the denial. And was told verbatim "we cannot explain the denial, as you may not be the individual we are trying to deny" 
The FFL only stated I would need to file an appeal and that I should not call from inside their store.
I did get fingerprints done (that I had to pay for) but have not yet sent them in as I have been dealing with substantial damage from the hurricane. My house is mostly back in order but fema has determined that a 4x8 hole in the wall and water damage does not entitle me to anything - 
So long rant cut short. I am now appealing both a denial for a pawned gun and fema. Fun times.

Yes Robert- I intend to get a UPIN as I really dislike writing down my social security number on anything that might hang around for a while. --- oddly enough when I called the number and offered my social and or concealed license number to verify who I am in fact am. I was told at this point it was too late to do anything until an appeal was completed.

Sometimes I laugh a hundred times before breakfast, and nothing funny happened. 

Offline ShootinFun

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:14:45 am »
You have a CHL/LTC?  If so why would the store talk to anyone?

Offline Lono122

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 12:33:39 am »
I currently live in Florida. The laws here are darn close to Texas laws, but even with a permit- they call in everyone for a purchase/pickup. It has never been an issue before. I am certain it will all wash out. It is just a minor irritation for the moment. I am half thinking it may have something to do with the state denying all purchases immediately after the storm. - I tried contacting the store every day for 6 days after the storm- when I finally went in they said they were open- but had no power or phones.  At least they held their 5% loan agreement and dodnt try and take me for more. I will update when something comes of this mess.

Offline ShootinFun

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:12:27 am »
Ah.