Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: effective bow range  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Livinatthe River

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
  • hunt or be hunted
    • View Profile
effective bow range
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:11:42 pm »
what is you effective bow range ?

My Girl will be bow hunting for the first time this year. She has been shooting most of the summer and can hit all the way out to 60 yrds. I been talking to her about the topic at hand and we think that her EBR is 20 yrds for this year. I shoot pritty good groups out to 50 yrds and feel real good with my 40 yrd pin but to keep it real I have put a 30 yrd EBR on myself. I know I can make the 40 but I haven't made a clean kill with my bow yet and ethical kills that put meat in the freezer is our #1 goal.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:13:20 pm by Livinatthe River »
hunting guns
hunting bows     hunting gear
hunting optics

Offline lil-red-ryder

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: effective bow range
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »
I have seen people shoot 60 -70 yards with a bow but like you I don't want to just wound an animal so I stay in 30-40 yard range too.

Offline JAKE

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:23:17 am »
Anything under 40 yards and under is my limit, but I can shoot 50 and 60 yards when I'm target shooting. It would have to be one impressive ;D deer for me to atempt a 50 yard shot while hunting. ;D

Offline dawson55

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:56 am »
It all lies in your comfort zone.  With correct shot placement a bow will do it's job farther than you might think.  I limit my self to 30 yrds due to lack of practice.  Rule of thumb is if you don't fell absolutely sure about the shot don't shoot.  Practicing at 50 yrds will really help you at a shorter range, so keep practicing at the longer ranges.  Just don't take that shot unless you fell it is perfect.  If you hunt from a tree stand and practice from the ground you might want to put a stand up and shoot from it.  You will shoot higher from a stand depinding on the height of your stand.

You never know the true definition of mine, until you have children.

Dinkidao

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:24:46 am »
I haven't hunted in a long time, but for many years I hunted with a bow exclusively because there was little challenge to hunt deer with a gun in most parts of Texas.  At 20 yards I could stay in a 2" circle; at 40 yards I could pretty much stay in a 5" circle, and at 60 yard I could stay in an 8" circle.  So I would say that my maximum effective range would have been about 40 - 50 yards.

I might would take up the sport again if I had a place to hunt.

Offline Blooze

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »
+1 on Dawson55's suggestion.  I bowhunted for 22 years and your doing yourself and the animal a service by limiting your range, especially the first time out.  Although I limited myself to 40 yards with a compound, I found that the thrill of the hunt was to get as close as I could, on the ground.  That's one reason I eventually went to using homemade selfbows and trying to get that 10 yard or less shot (even though I was fine to 25 yards with it).  In fact, I'd say 95% of my shots have been less than 20 yards.  I've seen deer trying to be shot at 50+ yards and I don't recommend it.  A deer can move before the arrow gets there at that distance (I had one do that at 40 yards once--moved right as I released--I was fortunate to still get a good kill shot but it was borderline), especially downwards, and what you thought was a perfect shot might end up to be a long, long tracking session.

On another note, have you shot with your broadheads yet?  Sometimes there can be one that isn't perfectly straight or something else and can give you a flyer.