Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: ati ruger mini 14 vs m4  (Read 4577 times)

Offline 85yota

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
ati ruger mini 14 vs m4
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:58 pm »
I've been considering buying a m4. the other day my buddy showed me a ruger mini14 with the ati stock on it i found a site selling these for around $670. Is a m4 worth the extra $300- $400 bucks? or would the mini14 be a bargin? and why? to be used mainly for plinking and some varmit slaying :rockout: thanks for your input

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: ati ruger mini 14 vs m4
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »
$670 strikes me as a fair market price on a new Mini-14 with a standard stock.  Suggested retail on the Ruger site is $921 but not even Gander sells as high as MSRP.

If this a used or after-market gun be aware that older Mini-14s (over about 3 or 4 years old) are notoriously inaccurate.  Newer guns have serial numbers that begin with the number 58 and the serial number will be something like 58x-xxxxx.

There are a lot of people that swear by the AR-15.  There are quite a few people that swear by the Mini-14 too.

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:39:25 am »
$670 strikes me as a fair market price on a new Mini-14 with a standard stock.  Suggested retail on the Ruger site is $921 but not even Gander sells as high as MSRP.

If this a used or after-market gun be aware that older Mini-14s (over about 3 or 4 years old) are notoriously inaccurate.  Newer guns have serial numbers that begin with the number 58 and the serial number will be something like 58x-xxxxx.

There are a lot of people that swear by the AR-15.  There are quite a few people that swear by the Mini-14 too.
I have an older mini-14 ranch and have no problems with its accuracy. its as good as the ar-15 in holding a grouping at 100 yards. what did they do different on the later ones. mine was made in the early 90's
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline chadcox

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:57 am »
my mini is a newer one with a 58x-xxxx serial. it seems to be pretty accurate, its only as good as the shooter and my shooting skills are average at best. i think for the price its the way to go, but thats just me.

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

I have an older mini-14 ranch and have no problems with its accuracy. its as good as the ar-15 in holding a grouping at 100 yards. what did they do different on the later ones. mine was made in the early 90's

They shut down production and retooled.  I am still skeptical about them because I have shot a lot of Mini-14s and for every 1 that puts up a decent pattern there's 6 to 10 that are lucky to put two rounds in the same pie plate at 50 yards.

Offline uudfourty

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
I know you're talking about m4s and mini-14s, but this might be an option you hadn't otherwise considered:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16c.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-SU16C.htm

Costs less than the Mini and uses AR mags.  It's what I'm saving for.

You could also get a CMMG bargain AR for $600 if you just really want an AR.
foUr --> foUrteen --> foUrty.

It's not the world that needs saving, it's the human spirit that's in jeopardy.

Offline joshua79109

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
This sounds like a question that can only truly be answered by you.

Intended use and your standards weighed against the intended use is the only way I know to answer that.

For my intended use the mini-14 is not up to par.  I very much prefer a good AR.

With that said....  the mini-14 is very popular and many people say they are very happy with their mini-14.

I've only had one and it was not worth keeping.  It had many failures and would not get better than a 3" group at 100 yards.

I'd take my least favorite AR over the mini-14 I had.

Ask around - I bet someone has a mini-14 that they like that they'd let you shoot to help you decide for yourself.

If you haven't used a good AR, I'd also try one before I decided. 

Good luck in your choice.
Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Offline 85yota

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »
Hey thanks a lot. it will probaly be a month or more and many more late nights looking on the internet before i make my purchase decesion either way I'll be sure to brag about it... that kel-tec su-16 looks pretty sweet i"ll look in to it

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
you can get a dpms sportical for around 675. i would suggest an ar, they are a lot better. i prefer a sks over a mini 14 and you can get a tapco stock that resembles a lot  like an ar.

Offline Mizark

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
SKS is a better choice than a Mini. Ar is nice if you wanna look cool, but the same thing as an sks or ak downrange. Little more power in an SKS or ak though. Unless you go with a .308 AR. Then you're talking more money.
We are the first, last, and only line of defense.

Offline countrymusicjdb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:23:29 am »
i really like the mini 14 i dont own one but have shot a few and the ones i handled where pretty nice. I do own a M4 and its also very nice. As far as ak or sks both great guns but i would go with a mini over either one. U just gotta break it down to what ur needs are. If u want just a plinker buy u a cheap ar or mini, if u want a rifle for when SHTF buy an ak. Or just do like so many of us and buy both  ;D
Well boys I've got 4 bullets and there's 3 of y'all, who wants to get shot twice

Offline goalieme

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 04:18:08 pm »
I know you're talking about m4s and mini-14s, but this might be an option you hadn't otherwise considered:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16c.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-SU16C.htm

Costs less than the Mini and uses AR mags.  It's what I'm saving for.

You could also get a CMMG bargain AR for $600 if you just really want an AR.

I have one on order from Erwin's but it is the CA version rather than the C version.  It might be Feb. before they get it.  Then I gotta get the micor flash suppressor and figure out what scope.
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Offline 85yota

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 06:13:26 pm »
Hmm i really like the idea of buying both :rockout:. guess its more which one to buy first. after reading some other posts im kinda liking the idea of building a ar. guess i need to some more research looks like i'd probably end up spending more but could spread out the cost. I do like the dpms sweet 16 though maybe even the bull 20. why is the sportical so much cheaper I've heard good and bad things about dpms the bad being that they use "non spec" parts' "they have poor quality controll" the good being that they are "just as good as most costomer ar's and cheaper ???"

Offline Mizark

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
I've owned two DPMS ARs. Both were great shooting very accurate guns. I would buy another no questions asked. Ive shot both bushmasters and a very nice yet simple Rock River ar. Both shot very smooth as well as accurately. Parts are pretty much universal. And with the 223 round you have unlimited ammo availability. Always some around.

Offline countrymusicjdb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »
I've owned two DPMS ARs. Both were great shooting very accurate guns. I would buy another no questions asked. Ive shot both bushmasters and a very nice yet simple Rock River ar. Both shot very smooth as well as accurately. Parts are pretty much universal. And with the 223 round you have unlimited ammo availability. Always some around.

x2 i currently own a bushmaster but have owned a DPMS and it was just as reliable and accurate at a couple hundred less.
Well boys I've got 4 bullets and there's 3 of y'all, who wants to get shot twice

Offline scottfire1957

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 09:58:09 pm »
You can assemble an AR-15 for 5-600 bucks easy. Just need to do some shopping online.

Here is an AR-15 built and ready to go for 600.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2115858&cat=161&

Aftermarket magazines being a consideration, the AR kicks the mini's butt. You can mod a mini some, but AR mod parts are very numerous.

The AR, in my mind, is easier to maintain and clean. I had a mini back in the 90's, liked it a lot. But I won't buy another unless it's a screaming deal. Really screaming.

Offline uudfourty

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:43 pm »
Ready to go minus the rear sight, anyway....

Offline scottfire1957

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:08 pm »
Ready to go minus the rear sight, anyway....

Evidently, that is an ORC, or "optics ready carbine" and meant for added optics anyway, and a rear sight would be a backup. But yeah, rear sights are inexpensive, and even added to the cost of the AR15 noted, still less expensive than the Mini. So, what else?

Offline scottfire1957

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 10:17:40 pm »
OP, here's a local buy that has the Mini beat hands down.

http://www.amarillogunowners.com/index.php?topic=2399.0

All ya gotta do is look.

Offline Mizark

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »
It depends on what you are going to use the gun for. As well as your personal taste. Any SA rifle can be made to look tacticool. Just go to gander or Erwins and pick em up. One will just feel right.

Offline scottfire1957

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 11:31:37 pm »
It depends on what you are going to use the gun for. As well as your personal taste. Any SA rifle can be made to look tacticool. Just go to gander or Erwins and pick em up. One will just feel right.

Whatever the use, unless it's just as a club, the AR in 5,56 can beat the Mini in price, modifications, add ons, magazines. What else do ya want?

As stated, I'd buy a mini for the right price, but I won't look for one. YMMV, of course.

Online chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »
This diagnostic target might help...

A kitten told me to do it.

Offline uudfourty

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »
 :lol: :lol:

That's pretty good.

Offline 10-96

• Gun Enthusiast
  • I just had an idea... nope, guess it was only gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:16 am »
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2125156&cat=161&
I've looked at and eyeballed two of the CMMG baragin bin rifles.  Believe me- there is nothing bargain bin about them!  They are great rifles and finding the flaw they are talking about isn't very easy.
One of these days I'll say something totally brilliant- and it'll look so friggin cool when I add it here!

Offline Mizark

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »
All in all the mini is considered to be a very inaccurate rifle. Every now and then you find a good one. The newer ones are supposed to be better, however they already have the bad reputation. The AR is a rather accurate rifle, and is used by our military and police in quite a few versions. You might as well just go get the AR, or build one yourself. Get exactly what you want that way.