Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: A note to FFL's and dealers.  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Robbie

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
  • I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy.
    • View Profile
A note to FFL's and dealers.
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:18 pm »
This topic has surfaced more than once, and more than once it's caused a disruption in the usually calm and collected crowd of AGO. The issue is, should dealers and FFL's be allowed to post their firearms, accessories, etc, on the website. Sure. Why not? This forum is open to everyone. However, from now on, if you're a dealer or FFL', you are required to, in your original post, inform potential buyers of your status. Failure to comply with this rule will result in a ban from the forum. If you're selling a personal firearm and don't require paperwork to be filled out, taxes paid, etc, then you are not required to do so.

And as required of all users who participate in this section of the forum, you also must not be here only to help your business. AGO is not a business. I pay for everything here right out of my own pocket, and with the help of users who have a Donating Member rank. I, for one, and I'd imagine I speak for everyone else, don't think it's fair for people to use this website to reach a completely, 100% targeted audience without contributing to it. Using it to promote your business or make a living, I'd say, should only strengthen the need for you to contribute for a forum with 400+ users who may potentially help your business.

I've also tossed the idea around of setting up a forum specifically for dealers and businesses who wish to advertise their merchandise here, and doing so would require a small monthly fee. I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to do that, but if I'm wrong, tell me. Also, I'd like the rest of AGO's opinion on that matter as well.

Thanks.
Regards,
Robbie

If guns cause crime, pencils mispel werds, and spoons made Rosie O'Donell fat.

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: A note to FFL's and dealers.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »
 I think you should get a fee for them advertising. I dont think someone should make money on your hard work. There has been and still are dealers that take take take anything they can get to make a buck and look at their post count and you can tell they contribute zero. In the last guys defense he had more posts than the others put together. A separate section would be good Just my 2 cents
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline The_Bandit

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »
What about something like Craigslist... they have a Cars & Trucks for sale "by owner" and a Cars & Trucks for sale "by dealer" so what about a Firearms for sale "by owner" section and a seperate section for Firearms for sale "by dealer"? That way the proposed buyer will know exactly who they're buying from.
(-_(-_(-_(-_-)_-)_-)_-) Join us...

mikey

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:26:52 pm »
I no problem with anything that you have said. I enjoy your web site very much.I had already decided to no post anything else for sale.Your site is a great site and I would not want to upset the few members that think that dealers are only wanting to take from you.

Thanks Mike

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »
I've also tossed the idea around of setting up a forum specifically for dealers and businesses who wish to advertise their merchandise here, and doing so would require a small monthly fee. I'm not sure if anyone would be willing to do that, but if I'm wrong, tell me. Also, I'd like the rest of AGO's opinion on that matter as well.

The monthly fee thing seems fair but strikes me as a logistical headache.

Offline metalpackrat

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »
As long as its known that you are talking to a dealer then its ok as long as its an occasional sale just like every body else.
If AGO is your webstore for your dealership, then a separate section with some bones thrown robbies way would be appropriate.
This disclosure should be buying or selling.  I drove to amarillo from borger one night with a truck full of guns for a member who was interested in them. Turns out he was a dealer and needed stock to sell at the upcoming gunshow. He kept saying he couldnt make money at the prices I was wanting to sell at. He had a buddy with him that kept pushing the hard sell on why I should sell cheaper.

Offline Kim

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • AGO Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »
As long as its known that you are talking to a dealer then its ok as long as its an occasional sale just like every body else.
If AGO is your webstore for your dealership, then a separate section with some bones thrown robbies way would be appropriate.
I agree, that's just the cost of doing business.

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 08:33:53 am »
how about a notation under there member name that identifies the person as a dealer/ffl holder?  that way it would be known on every post made and not just in the body of the text were it might get lost.  full disclosure seems appropriate to me.
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Dinkidao

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:14:20 am »
I don't have a big problem with dealers posting on this site, but I would rather they didn't.  However, if they do think that there should be some type of distinction that they are a dealer, and I wouldn't want to have to weed through a lot of posts each morning pertaining to dealer sales.

I would prefer that dealers have a separate section for them to buy and sale, but leave them free to post in any thread.  Sometimes a dealer may be able to help you out with a problem, or help you find something you're looking for.

I kind of like Wildflower's suggestion.  Perhaps just a simple FFL by their name.  Of course if they failed to sign up that way, or if they didn't post in the assigned section, there are plenty of members on here that would let you know real quick.

I also believe that if they are going to conduct business here, Robbie should be compensated.  That would not make them a donating member, but someone who is paying for the right to conduct business here.

JMHO

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
This disclosure should be buying or selling.  I drove to amarillo from borger one night with a truck full of guns for a member who was interested in them. Turns out he was a dealer and needed stock to sell at the upcoming gunshow. He kept saying he couldnt make money at the prices I was wanting to sell at. He had a buddy with him that kept pushing the hard sell on why I should sell cheaper.

That's just messed up.  Did you tell his buddy to shove it?  I probably would have, especially after having to drive to Borger to restock this fellow for the gun show.

Offline Plinker

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »
I don't have a big problem with dealers posting on this site, but I would rather they didn't.  However, if they do think that there should be some type of distinction that they are a dealer, and I wouldn't want to have to weed through a lot of posts each morning pertaining to dealer sales.

I would prefer that dealers have a separate section for them to buy and sale, but leave them free to post in any thread.  Sometimes a dealer may be able to help you out with a problem, or help you find something you're looking for.

I kind of like Wildflower's suggestion.  Perhaps just a simple FFL by their name.  Of course if they failed to sign up that way, or if they didn't post in the assigned section, there are plenty of members on here that would let you know real quick.

I also believe that if they are going to conduct business here, Robbie should be compensated.  That would not make them a donating member, but someone who is paying for the right to conduct business here.

JMHO
x2
Freedom isn't free.

Offline JSir

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • I Love Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:13:35 am »
I believe that dealers at AGO can provide a way for members to purchase new guns and even be a great way for us to possibly get a deal on something we would like to have ordered.  I think a seperate section of firearms for sale by dealers would be sufficient.  Dealers can be very helpful, but they would definitly need to be clear that they are a dealer and they should be required to be a donating member.  Personally, it ruffles my feathers if it seems a dealer is being dishonest, but if they can be upfront and contribute financially then we could use 'em.  Just my $.02

Dinkidao

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »
I believe that dealers at AGO can provide a way for members to purchase new guns and even be a great way for us to possibly get a deal on something we would like to have ordered.  I think a seperate section of firearms for sale by dealers would be sufficient.  Dealers can be very helpful, but they would definitly need to be clear that they are a dealer and they should be required to be a donating member.  Personally, it ruffles my feathers if it seems a dealer is being dishonest, but if they can be upfront and contribute financially then we could use 'em.  Just my $.02

JSir, because of inflation, your opinion is not worth $.14... :lol:

Offline cprdnick

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »
I'm an FFL, but have never posted anything for sale on this forum.  I don't feel I have a right to any more advertising on this site than word of mouth.  Personally, if FFL's were not allowed to post items for sale on this site, I would understand and probably be in agreeance (beat down the competition for me).  It can be a headache going in to a purchase not prepared to fill out paper work and get a background check when you thought you were just going to buy a gun out right.  As far as a separate forum, I like that idea, though as mentioned above, it may be more of a pain than it's worth.  Charging a monthly advertising fee, I don't make much on my sales, so it wouldn't be beneficial to me, but I could see how some of the larger dealers would be able to swing it.

I haven't been on here in a while, so forgive me if something has actually taken place regarding this thread, I haven't made it through the entire site and caught myself up yet.

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »
Under the section 'Firearms For Sale' and just before 'Firearms Accesories for Sale' create a new catagory 'FFL Firearms for Sale' all dealers must list in this section or not at all. Problem solved.
If a personal firearms without need of paper work, sell where everyone else sells.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:20:04 pm by Rancher »
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Dinkidao

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »
Great idea

Offline nuggib

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:17 pm »
What about something like Craigslist... they have a Cars & Trucks for sale "by owner" and a Cars & Trucks for sale "by dealer" so what about a Firearms for sale "by owner" section and a seperate section for Firearms for sale "by dealer"? That way the proposed buyer will know exactly who they're buying from.

I know it's more work, but have you guys ever considered something like The Bandit suggested.  Keep the forum for discussion and make a classifieds website for buying/selling/trading guns, ammo, etc.  There is an open source project that I've actually setup just to play with that would work great:   http://osclass.org/

Plus, you could eventually go so far as have paid advertisements, or google adsense - etc.  Here's one of the examples OSClass has for a firearms classified system - not much listed but gives you an idea: http://www.firearmory.com/

Offline loaded

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:56 pm »
I have no problem with dealers just would want them to say so up-front so I know if I'll need to pay taxes etc. on the purchase.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction

Dinkidao

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:47 pm »
I'd hate to strike a deal only to be confronted with paperwork when I went to pick it up.  There are many who simple choose to not do paper trails.

Offline landonc

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »
I think any business that wants to advertise here should pay.  Either per post or just a required donation to become a member.
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."
John Wayne

Offline SgtatArms

• New to AGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:25 am »
Hello everyone I am new to the group and I am an ffl dealer if at anytime you purchase anything from me paperwork is required. I have no plans to exploit or take advantage of anyone. As gun owners we should police ourselves and prevent firearms from being obtained by individuals that would ordinarily not be able to purchase a firearm. The segregation of ffl dealers will only encourage those type of individuals to puchace from this group. If anyone who's is in the group ever requires a background check for a transfer to an individual you don't feel comfortable with please feel free to give me a shout