Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fresh water access in Amarillo area  (Read 10442 times)

Offline claw619

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Fresh water access in Amarillo area
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:51:54 am »
Being prepared and stockpiling are one thing. I think we all agree it is best to prepare for the worse. My biggest concern is the power failing. Once all those convenient pumps shut off that bring us stuff like gas and water we are really screwed. If it takes 1 gallon per adult per day for cooking, bathing, and drinking to survive at a minimum water is my biggest concern. I keep a three day supply for who I have to take care of. My question for you guys that have been living around here a long time is, where is the water?

Is their any fresh water springs in the surrounding area?
Beyond Meredith and the Canadian what are the other major water sources?
Does anyone own any purification equipment, if so what kind?

What got me down this path was this site I stumbled on.

http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm
I tend to learn something and move on. That way I am not stuck at some destination.

Offline 10-96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • I just had an idea... nope, guess it was only gas.
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh water access in Amarillo area
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:52:48 am »
By no means do I suggest you tresspass- but judging from the chopper on your avatar- it looks like you might know a thing or two about land nav.  OK- if you have or can get good to decent maps of the area, you might start plotting windmills where you see them.  Not all WM's pump all the time.  Either google it, or have someone show you how to engage/disengage the brake lever on one.  First hint... there is one on the back trail at Coyote Bluff...
One of these days I'll say something totally brilliant- and it'll look so friggin cool when I add it here!

Offline claw619

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
Man that is a really good idea. When I moved here the windmills were kind of a new thing to me. It would be something I would only use in a dire situation of course. And you are correct....I am really good with land nav and staying undetected too  ;)
I tend to learn something and move on. That way I am not stuck at some destination.

Dinkidao

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:47 am »
I agree; knowing windmill locations and how to operate them is a great idea, but keep in mind that in that kind of scenario water will be a high commodity, and most likely heavily guarded.  Also being infected here in the panhandle is a little more tricky than other parts of the country.  It's fairly flat and barren.  Often you can live a fair distance from your neighbor, but with a good pair of field glasses you can watch every move they make!

Offline claw619

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »
I always figured in a bad situation trade and trust would be the two top commodities. I keep a lot of extras around for barter material. All the gold, oil, and ammo would get traded away in a flash for some fresh water. I am new to Amarillo but it seems like the people around here are the type to help out their neighbor.

Offline pcfr203

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:47:28 pm »
This was in today's paper in the outdoors section. http://www.steripen.com/content16230   Its a battery free handcrank UV purifier
If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.

John Wayne

Offline claw619

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 07:39:01 pm »
This was in today's paper in the outdoors section. http://www.steripen.com/content16230   Its a battery free handcrank UV purifier

Ouch. Kinda pricey but probably the best 100 I have spent. I know how to filter water but the bacteria was always a problem. Boiled water is terrible at best too. I doubt I will use this until I actually need it, but it's a great idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:08 am »
I always figured in a bad situation trade and trust would be the two top commodities. I keep a lot of extras around for barter material. All the gold, oil, and ammo would get traded away in a flash for some fresh water. I am new to Amarillo but it seems like the people around here are the type to help out their neighbor.

Ive been hoarding old CPU processors (made of 24k gold dont throw away your old computers) for this exact reason.  Gold is the only cash in this situation.  Amarilloans are pretty neighborly but in this situation water becomes something people kill for.  We live in a SbK climate area.  Comparable to the mongolian steppes.  Water is scarce and while meredith is your first choice being it has the largest supply.  The Canadian is sometimes dry (doesnt have water in it) or so shallow that a mass exodus to collect water from it would be a no go and probably attract lots of people. 

I agree with 10-96 start plotting out the windmills in your area on a grid.  My personal plan is to head southeast along the canyon to the llano estacado.  youll be without water from 40 miles west of estelline to about 25 miles south of clarendon.  However the terrain is harsh and would have few travellers with most common unprepared people going north towards the lake and the river.  Once you get to North Texas the Water supply increases dramatically and the climate (at least in the winter) becomes more survivable.
"In God we trust, all others we monitor" - NSA motto

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother------ in the room, accept no substitutes.

Offline cool hand luke

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »
It really depends on how long things are down for.  Most people outside of town have wells.  If it is a short term thing, then a generator big enough to run one of those will keep you in water no problem.  Be careful about the windmills, a lot of them have very high heavy metal concentrations in them, especially if they don't pump much.  You won't be able to filter those out.  In an emergency, no problem, but continual intake can jack you up. 

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:32:14 am »
It really depends on how long things are down for.  Most people outside of town have wells.  If it is a short term thing, then a generator big enough to run one of those will keep you in water no problem.  Be careful about the windmills, a lot of them have very high heavy metal concentrations in them, especially if they don't pump much.  You won't be able to filter those out.  In an emergency, no problem, but continual intake can jack you up. 

in survival classes and even in spec ops they teach you to boil all water with a metal pan on the top to catch the vapor and drip down the sides where you have a bigger pan to catch the condensation.. that will almost garuntee that there are no HEAVY metals in the water.

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother------ in the room, accept no substitutes.

Offline cool hand luke

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
yes, that's correct, but that's not what most people think of when they say "boil water"

Dinkidao

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:54 pm »

In a true area wide event where cities are unable to supply water for an extended period of time, the thousands of city dwellers, will be visiting the rural wells!

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »
yes, that's correct, but that's not what most people think of when they say "boil water"

I'll be frank.  I do not care about most people but I do care about "us" and that includes you now luke =)

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
what heavy metal concentrations are you talking about? rust?

Dinkidao

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »

I'll be frank.  I do not care about most people but I do care about "us" and that includes you now luke =)

Interesting!

Offline claw619

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »
I have heard there is a lot of iron in the ground here. Oxidize it and you would have rusty water. Farmland usually brings a lot of agricultural problems like fertilizer and pesticides that will also have heavy metals like zinc that are no good for you. Boiling over in a second container to catch the steam back into condensation is a great idea.

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 08:05:06 pm »
When the SHTF I dont think that the rust in the water is going to be a concern. Just finding water will be the main problem . Most irrigation wells run on 440 volt elec.  That is beyond most generators. Lakes would be the main source around here.
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:56 am »

Interesting!

I mean in the SHTF situation... God, I am not a monster after rereading that post I feel like Dr. Evil.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 09:47:01 pm »

Interesting!

I mean in the SHTF situation... God, I am not a monster after rereading that post I feel like Dr. Evil.
monster, Dr, Evil or cuddly teddy bear! :rofl:

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
I have heard there is a lot of iron in the ground here. Oxidize it and you would have rusty water. Farmland usually brings a lot of agricultural problems like fertilizer and pesticides that will also have heavy metals like zinc that are no good for you. Boiling over in a second container to catch the steam back into condensation is a great idea.
what would be different from a windmill versus my home's water well? they are around the same depth and both from the ogallala. not to mention the citys well system.

Offline cool hand luke

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:57:53 am »
windmills aren't built to drinking water standards, many have lead based solder, etc in them.  I'm a civil engineer and used to be in charge of a cities water supply, so I'm probably just overly picky as far as water standard.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
windmills aren't built to drinking water standards, many have lead based solder, etc in them.  I'm a civil engineer and used to be in charge of a cities water supply, so I'm probably just overly picky as far as water standard.

civil engineers are useful... where do you live again exactly <evil grin>

Offline Lano

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:11 pm »

Well heck!  That's what is the matter with me.  When I was a kid, a windmill supplied water to a tank on the hill.  We had a pipeline that ran downhill to us.  I did not know any better.  Sure tasted good tho.  It was galvanized pipe just like everyone else used back then. 
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans."  -General Robert E. Lee

Dinkidao

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:32 pm »

Well heck!  That's what is the matter with me.  When I was a kid, a windmill supplied water to a tank on the hill.  We had a pipeline that ran downhill to us.  I did not know any better.  Sure tasted good tho.  It was galvanized pipe just like everyone else used back then. 

You,and the hundreds of thousands of other people that have grown up in rural America where water was and still is supplied via windmill, or manual and electric pumps.

Offline cool hand luke

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
i'm here in amarillo

be glad to help out if i can.  especially if you can teach me more about my new obsession!