Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fresh water access in Amarillo area  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh water access in Amarillo area
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »
i'm here in amarillo

be glad to help out if i can.  especially if you can teach me more about my new obsession!

im not the super gun expert.  In most circles id qualify as gun knowledgable.  In this circle I am a rookie at best.  I actually had some questions about building a house. I have been for several years envisioning and designing my own house but I had some engineering questions.  I know a mechanical and an electrical engineer but really needed a civil engineer to answer the questions I had.
"In God we trust, all others we monitor" - NSA motto

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother------ in the room, accept no substitutes.

Offline cool hand luke

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »
shoot me a pm or email at tony 523 98 at yahoo dot com

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »
windmills aren't built to drinking water standards, many have lead based solder, etc in them.  I'm a civil engineer and used to be in charge of a cities water supply, so I'm probably just overly picky as far as water standard.
just out of curiosity, where would the lead based solder be at? every windmill i ever pulled consisted of steel (galvanized) threaded pipe, steel or fiberglass sucker rod, brass checks, leather packing, and a brass barrel. it was all inside a threaded steel casing pipe or if a newer well, pvc casing pipe.

Offline vanillo

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Done right, dead before they can hear the shot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
windmills aren't built to drinking water standards, many have lead based solder, etc in them.  I'm a civil engineer and used to be in charge of a cities water supply, so I'm probably just overly picky as far as water standard.
just out of curiosity, where would the lead based solder be at? every windmill i ever pulled consisted of steel (galvanized) threaded pipe, steel or fiberglass sucker rod, brass checks, leather packing, and a brass barrel. it was all inside a threaded steel casing pipe or if a newer well, pvc casing pipe.

My over five decades of experience with windmills has been similar to MrBigTexanís, except for a few shallow wells we had with wooden sucker rods and some newer set ups that had polyurethane cups and valve balls.   Iíve never seen a solder joint on any of them.

BTW they all taste rusty if they havenít been pumping and water has been standing in the column pipe.  Wait for the wind to come up or turn them on by slacking the wire down one tower leg.  This is usually held by a lever toggled over the pivot point, but sometimes by a crank winch with a pawl holding the drum.  This line releases a brake on the wheel and lets a spring on the vane turn it into the wind.  It may take a while of the sucker rod going up and down for water to make it to the surface.  If you can hear the different valves chattering on the up and down stroke when you put your ear to the column pipe, it probably has water on the way.  If the valves are stuck, sometimes shaking or tapping on the column pipe will loosen them.  Most will have a hose bib, but maybe just a wooden plug in a hole drilled in the column pipe at the well head where you can get water.  Let the water flow for a while before taking a drink or filling your canteen.

In a survival situation, dehydration is a much more immediate and deadly threat than iron or even lead solder joints.  The other immediate problem is that many others will want the same water so this will also be a convergence zone for trouble.
SHOOT: 177&22pellet,22RF,22Hornet,223Rem,243Win,6.5X55,270Win,7-08,30Luger,7.62X39,30-30,308Win,30-06,32S&WLong,338LapuaMag,9X19,380auto,38spcl,357mag,40S&W,45ACP, 45&50muzzle,410,16,20,12&10ga
RELOAD:above reloadable+222RemMag,7X57,30carbine
HUNT: trespasser,grackle,squirrel,coyote&hog

Dinkidao

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 08:12:07 am »
Good advice, Vanillo.

I would imagine that in a SHTF survival scenario, groups or clans will lay claim to individual wells, and may not be willing to share with others.

Offline claw619

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 07:54:03 am »
When I was deployed to Freetown in Sierra Leone the problems were many. The first thing that people jumped on was the water wells. Different groups would booby trap them and force people to pay for a guide on how to access them. I would hope that trade, barter, and trust would be the watch word in a town like Amarillo. If not defending a well from desperate thirsty people might be difficult.
I tend to learn something and move on. That way I am not stuck at some destination.

Dinkidao

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:07 am »
When I was deployed to Freetown in Sierra Leone the problems were many. The first thing that people jumped on was the water wells. Different groups would booby trap them and force people to pay for a guide on how to access them. I would hope that trade, barter, and trust would be the watch word in a town like Amarillo. If not defending a well from desperate thirsty people might be difficult.

The people of Amarillo are no different than other people when survival is at stake.  There are some pretty cut-throat people here in Amarillo, as there are anywhere.

Offline 2guns

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • La vie en rose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »
The people of Amarillo are no different than other people when survival is at stake.  There are some pretty cut-throat people here in Amarillo, as there are anywhere.

Sadly, this is true. Human nature may be swayed by locale in good conditions, but it will run feral and free if lives are on the line.

In a SHTF scenario, all bets are off and you'd see things in people you know that would surprise you. You'd see things in some people that would bother you and even some things that would destroy you.

Dinkidao

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 07:05:01 pm »
Over my many years I have witnessed a lot of good in my fellow man, but I have also witnessed much evil.  You might be surprised just how evil man can be when hatred comes into play.

Offline claw619

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »
I would have to agree with you guys. I have seen the horrors of what humans can do to each other. I had the pleasure of witnessing the aftermath of all the fun times in Kosovo. Believe me that was some very interesting times of my life. I tell my wife that our biggest enemy is our neighbors if it came down to a bad situation. In that case I have a gun for each of them  >:D
I tend to learn something and move on. That way I am not stuck at some destination.

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
Search the web. Lots of good efficient water purifiers to filter the many lakes right here in town. Around $99 at Academy for one place locally.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline butters

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:15 am »
For out of towners that have wells on their property already, which is just about everyone outside the amarillo city limit, invest in a good well bucket.they are designed to fit down the casing along with the pump
Rule with an iron fist, in a velvet glove, resting on the butt of a rifle.

Luck all depends on which side of the shotgun you are standing on!

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 07:57:19 am »
For out of towners that have wells on their property already, which is just about everyone outside the amarillo city limit, invest in a good well bucket.they are designed to fit down the casing along with the pump
Speaking of I was wondering about this: n r neck of the woods r the wells seperate or do 'we' all share the same one? I may have already asked this but I forget lol

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:16 am »
I don't know about your well, but the well I was on was only about 4 inches around and over 300 feet deep. I'm not sure what good a bucket would do.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:30 pm »
Mine is the same way

Offline butters

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »
I forgot where the top of the water table is on mine, 200 ft or so and bedrock at 380. The well bucket would work if it was the only way to get water from your well, granted not the most convient or efficient but will work.I am looking at other options for my well such as deep well hand pumps or some kind of windmill system but havent decided which way to try

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
I have not checked prices but I wounder what a solar pump set up would run to pump the water if wind not blowinf as often in late July and August.
Think it blows all the time, just ask a rancher with a windmill if he ever has to haul water to his cows.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline pittman_clay

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 07:23:31 pm »
i think the biggest problem with most shtf plans including mine is the sheer number of people that are going to be competing over the same limited resources  there will be thousands of people headed for the boonies not including the people that are already in the area as well as hords of people trying to escape the mess that dfw would become, i think the big game will be shot out in a suprisingly short amount of time (remember there were millions of buffalo elk antelope bear and deer in this area that were wiped out prior to 1900 by allot less people without spot-lights and simi auto rifles) and they new how to prepare and store meet which most dont now and i imagine water cartels would form in quick order
o and FYI if your planing on heading to the cap and east you better have a lot of good tp in your bug out bag because the springs and creek as well as most stock water has a high gypsum content and gives you painfull diarrhea really bad. dad tells a story from when he was cowboying he was working west of silverton and the water there was so bad you could watch the gypp settle into the bottom of the glass like you poured suggart in.

Offline butters

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »
Water around amarillo isn't the greatest anyway, really hard with lots of minerals and some heavy metals, my neighbors well drilled 100' away from mine is loaded with manganese and was making his whole family sick.
Had mine tested but it was good.

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:36 am »
Well rancher I think itd prolly b a smarter idea to employ both wind & solar since neither is always prevalent on any given day...its a thought at least...& u t roght clay everyone would b jockeying for the same stuff...guess the best idea is instead of tryin to go it alone (even if u have a family...well ESPECIALLY if u have a family) I would think itd b a better idea to pool resources w likeminded trustworthy folk...strength n numbers...more strain on resources sure but more manpower to protect the community & workforce to go out salvaging & other 'household' duties...IMHO

Offline Fuli

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • AK-47, When every orc must absolutely die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:29 pm »
Remember in an emergency situation where you lose all water pressure you have forty gallons in your hot water heater and a few gallons in the back of the toilets. There are survival bladders that fit in you bath tub and you can fill it with water if things get bad, I don't have the link but they are inexpensive.

Water purification tablets, bleach and other water purifiers are cheap. I have a hand held reverse osmosis hand pump for camping and survival filtered straws.

The idea is not to die for your country. It is to make the other sonofabi$%#@ die for his. G. Patton

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »
Remember in an emergency situation where you lose all water pressure you have forty gallons in your hot water heater and a few gallons in the back of the toilets. There are survival bladders that fit in you bath tub and you can fill it with water if things get bad, I don't have the link but they are inexpensive.

Water purification tablets, bleach and other water purifiers are cheap. I have a hand held reverse osmosis hand pump for camping and survival filtered straws.
good idea