Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mathews Bow  (Read 4816 times)

Dinkidao

• Trade Count: (0)
Mathews Bow
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:34 am »
Anybody have a Mathews bow or have experience with them?  I have heard that they are a good bow, and I am considering purchasing one.

Offline countrymusicjdb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mathews Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:10 am »
my brother hunts with a mathews and it is a very nice bow. I havent hunted with it but have shot it several times and its very fast and accurate. 
Well boys I've got 4 bullets and there's 3 of y'all, who wants to get shot twice

Offline joshua79109

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:16:51 am »
I have not owned one, so take this for what it's worth.

When I bought my last bow it came down to two and the second was a Mathews.  The real reason I went the other way was because the other bow was shorter in length, but carried the same strength.  I really liked the Mathews.  One of my good friends only uses Mathews and he has been hunting with them for at least 20 years.
Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Mizark

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:01:22 pm »
I hunt with an older Mathews Signature. It's fast, quiet and easy to set up. I did have one of the limbs explode once. I had drove all night to Chama NM to go elk hunting. I arrived just before sunrise all ready to go. I opened the bow case, removed my release and drew her back to check that the peep had not moved and bang! The damn thing exploded. It was probably my fault since it rode 8 hours in the back seat of a heated car with the heater blowing right on it. But on the bright side, I called Mathews and had a new set of limbs on the way to the local tire shop. They arrived the next day and all went well. I Put em on and spent about 15min getting it to shoot. It shot great and I ended up taking a nice cow elk a few days later. I would recommend a Mathews over almost anything. However I personally prefer the older Mathews. The new style cam that is on their new bows makes a slight thudding sound when released. Not loud, but just not a comforting feeling to know its gonna make that noise whenever its released. They are the originator of the solo cam design so everything else is a copy!

Dinkidao

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:22 am »
Thanks for the input.

Offline Blooze

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:21:55 am »
Mathews are good shooting bows fer sure.  One thing I didn't like about them when I tried one out years ago was the break over.  It was typical of extreme cams with the hard pull right till the last inch then it broke over quickly.  The shop manager where I was testing one told me to wait and brought his personal rig out for me to shoot.  Same model, but he had changed the cam on it to a softer one.  A little less speed, a little less let off, but it just rolled over nice and smooth.  He didn't like the stock cam for the same reason as me.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are usually some options with the types of cams if you don't like the stock ones on the newer bows.  Something to keep in mind if you really like the feel of the riser and everything else.

Dinkidao

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:29:11 am »
I've had several recurves over the years, but only had two compound bows.  My first was a Golden Eagle bought in '82.  It was really heavy.  My second was an Easton Spectra 2000 that I bought in '86.  I really liked the Easton. It was lightweight and easy to shoot.  It seems like compound bows nowdays don't really look like bows.

Offline Blooze

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:11:02 am »
They definitely are more complicated, especially to tune.  One of the reasons I liked the cam change on the Mathews was that it matched the break over of the older compounds I'd used.  I like a little less let-off that most of the new bows offer.  Requires you to use back tension when releasing, like on a recurve, and helps me at least to stablize my drawing arm.  With the high % let-off of the newer ones my draw arm elbow wanders around.

Mizark

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »
When I first started learning to shoot a bow I had a bad habit of punching it. I'd pull the release like you would a shotgun. It worked moderately well but as I got better I had to find a way to stop. I ended up picking up a Stanislawski release at a 3d shoot in OK city. Its a back tension release. It helped my shooting more than anything. No more punching or jumping. And it really helped my form. I tried using it for hunting but couldn't beat the jitters and ended up shooting all wild with it.

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:33 am »
i ordered a mission venture bow. i think its made by mathews.
should be in around 10 days or so. i'll repost after i get to shoot it.

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »
i got my mission venture bow from the shop.
and i finally got to shoot it.
it was AWESOME! very smooth.
 :rockout:

Dinkidao

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »
i got my mission venture bow from the shop.
and i finally got to shoot it.
it was AWESOME! very smooth.
 :rockout:

Great.  I know Mathews and Mission are related, but I am not sure which is subsidary of the other.

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »
mission is made by mathews