Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: About the Survival and Preparedness Forum  (Read 9926 times)

Offline RustyShackleford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: About the Survival and Preparedness Forum
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
OK, before you all ask:  TEOTWAWKI

The end of the world as we know it.

i Thought it was spanish  ;D

If it ever comes up - W and K don't appear in native spanish words.  If there's a W or a K in a spanish word, it was borrowed from another language like english or a central or south American indian language.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 01:24:09 pm »
lake TIE WA KNO E, indian chief in seminole:)

Solar oven easy to make and can reach 350 degrees even in zero weather if sunny. Just keep tin foil on hand and get the large size.
Magnifier lens can start a fire also, just make good starter.
Mesquite makes a very hot fire and the coles(how the heck do you spell that) last a long time. Freezing out side, no shelter but overhang, make a mesquiet fire and collect ashes to put in a 3x6 shallow hole. Cover with dirt and place bedding on it.
Have metal canteen not plastic. You cannot put a plastic one close to fire to thaw it.
A large bag of dried beans can feed you for a long time. Maybe supplement it with what ever meat is available even sparrow.
Learn whatever plants are edible in our area.    Cattail root for example.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Dinkidao

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »
All of these are good information.

If you are talking about the lake east of Dallas, it is spelled, "Tawakoni".

After burning the mesquite, the coals are left.

Beans are high in protetn, and good to have, but take a lot of water to cook.

The fuzzy tops of the cattail plant makes very good insulation to put in the toe of your boot or shoe to help keep your feet warm.

Again, good info.  Everyone on here should learn how to survive outdoors.  However, I suspect most here have never been away from food and shelter for more than a day, and dont realize how important that knowledge may be some day.

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »
Yes, this is good. Cattail stems, near the bottom, and roots to, are edible. Kind cook em like green beans. Cactus, of course, skin it and throw it on the fire.
When I was younger, I loved steppin out. Loved the challenge. Up north, when a snowstorm was coming, I'ld dress warm, grab my little Ruger New Model six .22, and head out for two or more days in the river bottoms. Picken's were easier to come by there in that environment, than they are here of course. But I loved how areas I knew so well, would turn completely unrecognizable after a big snow. How peaceful and beautiful everything became.
Long hikes are my hobby. Seems no matter where I go, I find something been lost long ago. Here especially in the drier climate, I discovered lots of things on the ranch that no one knew about before. That's mainly because I stay a long way away from the roads, and the cowtrails, into the really rough canyon areas. A person can loose himself up there, and never be found, if he didn't want to be. heh heh

Dinkidao

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15:22 am »
Wish I could still hold out on those long hikes.  Unfortunately, my old body don't like long strenuous walks any more.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 03:22:14 pm »
  Get water purification tablets.
  Get a water filter that also purifies and gets rid of disease causing organisms. Where do you get the water? I hope you get out of town.   
  There are places to get water if you use your imagination. Stock tanks, windmills, springs (yes in the panhandle) make a collector etc.
  Boiling is ok for cooking and coffee but you get tired of the taste.
  In first aid kit do not forget snake bite kit. Get it now.
  Learn which rocks can be heated without exploding to use for warmth wherever needed.
  Learn at least one way to start fire, more if possible. Ask a Boy Scout to help you.
I'll stop here but you get the idea. Be prepared and never fear. Fear is for the unknown.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788