Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: archery laws???  (Read 2415 times)

Offline samuels68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
archery laws???
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »
does anyone know if its illegal to shoot a bow at john stiff park?
if it is or not were can i find info on it...............

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: archery laws???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »
Im not in law enforcement or anything like that but just by the image I got in my head id have to say its illegal to shoot any projectile in a city park.  :rofl:
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »
after a lot of digging the only thing i could find was this. but it only defines threw a barrel.....

Sec. 10-3-27.  Firearms.
(a)   Discharging.  It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm within the City limits. In this Section, "firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance. 
(b)   Exceptions.  This section and the offense defined above shall not apply to the discharge of a firearm in the following situation..

ok, after not finding anything on archery. i called the APD. the guy i talked to had to speak to his supervisor.
i was told that their is not anything about archery. and nothing to say i cant.
but he still recomended that i didnt do it.

so if anyone is in law enforcement and actually knows something. please let me know.
thanks....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:47:10 pm by samuels68 »

Offline Darkpriest667

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:02:20 am »
after a lot of digging the only thing i could find was this. but it only defines threw a barrel.....

Sec. 10-3-27.  Firearms.
(a)   Discharging.  It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm within the City limits. In this Section, "firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance. 
(b)   Exceptions.  This section and the offense defined above shall not apply to the discharge of a firearm in the following situation..

ok, after not finding anything on archery. i called the APD. the guy i talked to had to speak to his supervisor.
i was told that their is not anything about archery. and nothing to say i cant.
but he still recomended that i didnt do it.

so if anyone is in law enforcement and actually knows something. please let me know.
thanks....

he recommended you didnt do it because some jerk will call them or several jerks will call them saying there is some madman shooting his bow at the park lol
"In God we trust, all others we monitor" - NSA motto

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother------ in the room, accept no substitutes.

Dinkidao

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:15 am »
I don't know if it is legal or not, but wouldn't do it.  You may be the best archer in the world and never miss your target, but, there may be beginners that see you do it so they will do it.  That puts the public at risk.  Like a bullet, that arrow belongs to you.

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:28 am »
I don't know if it is legal or not, but wouldn't do it.  You may be the best archer in the world and never miss your target, but, there may be beginners that see you do it so they will do it.  That puts the public at risk.  Like a bullet, that arrow belongs to you.
[/quo

im may never go there and practice just for that reason.
some people may be getting the wrong idea cause of the word "park".
the areas im thinking of is not even close to the park full of people.
the area i was interested in was the very large grassy parking area. that is never used unless it is for parking when an event is going on at the park. that area is completely void of any structure. the area that parallels 45th and the library.
the last thing i would ever want to do is put anyone or child in danger. so i think if i get the chance when im at the park. i'll try and flag down a police officer and talk it over with the officer. plus in the mean time i will also contact a park official on the matter. 

Dinkidao

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:26 am »
I spoke with Larry Offerdahl, who is the Director of Parks and Recreation for the City.  Although it is not illegal, they would rather you didn't.  He did tell me that there are plans to build an archery range out at the municipal gun range just west of town, and may start it this fall.

Offline samuels68

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:59:03 am »
I spoke with Larry Offerdahl, who is the Director of Parks and Recreation for the City.  Although it is not illegal, they would rather you didn't.  He did tell me that there are plans to build an archery range out at the municipal gun range just west of town, and may start it this fall.

thanks for the info..
that would be awesome if the build a archery range...
the whole reason why i brought this up, is that i went to archery outfitters. and i felt uneasy about their range setup.

thanks again

Offline colmon9

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47:19 pm »
Does Gander still have there range? It was pretty nice there about 2 years ago.

Mizark

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »
Buy a hay bail and put some plywood behind it. That'll last all summer and in the winter it makes for great bedding for dog houses!

Offline dettenator

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:37 am »
Don't know if its still an issue, however I go to an abandoned baseball field off eastern, several APD have driven by and they don't even look at me, there is plenty of room out there and nothing behind that my arrows could ever reach.
I have heard that in the city limits it is illeagal to release any projectile from a weapon, a bow is considered a weapon with no mention of firearm.
Shoot 1st, ask for more bullets later!