Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ladies Clinic Suggestions  (Read 1416 times)

Offline KK_TXLady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • That Texas Lady
Ladies Clinic Suggestions
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support of A Girl and A Gun Ladies Shooting League. Although there are 6 other chapters all around Texas (including Austin) we have a record number of ladies signed up for Girl's Night Out September 8th and an almost full CHL class for the 8th & 9th.

In October we don't get to use the range because of APD qualifications, so I will be hosting a couple of clinics instead of our normal Girl's Night Out.

I plan to host a Gun Cleaning Clinic: How, when and why to clean your gun are just some of what we will teach you. This is a casual, fun and relaxing class. Absolutely no ammunition is allowed in the classroom. NO exception to this rule. All guns and range bags will be checked at the door before you enter. If you do not yet own a gun, but use our guns for classes or league events, you can learn to clean the gun you love to borrow!

And perhaps a holster clinic: Holster options for different styles of clothing will be demonstrated at this clinic. Learn how to conceal your firearm, no matter what you wear.

Any other suggestions, clinics you would like to see for women? Please let me know.

Offline metalpackrat

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies Clinic Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:18 pm »
Yeah, a show and tell with terminology of how a gun works and what the parts are.

Offline KK_TXLady

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • That Texas Lady
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »
Super idea, thanks!

Offline metalpackrat

• Banned
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »
Gather up all the handguns you can get your hands on and let the ladies look/handle them in a classroom environment so they can get an idea of what they like.

Offline KK_TXLady

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • That Texas Lady
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:56:49 pm »
Yeah, that's part of what we do at Girl's Night Out. They get to shoot other firearms to find one they are comfortable with.

Offline joshua79109

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:59:02 pm »
- Mindset is always a good topic along with making decisions ahead of any actual event

- Situational Awareness

- If you have an area to do so, firearm manipulation is good.  Many of the new (to firearms) women I have helped have needed a decent amount of practice manipulating the slide on a SA, for example.

Stance, form, malfunctions, reloads are all things that are good to start off with no live rounds (in my opinion).

- How to keep firearms readily available, yet safe, with children in the home.

- First Aid

- How to work up a plan of action while in home, auto, work, mall, etc.  How to use a code word between husband/wife or within the family/group.

- Can always work on safety and really make examples of how this would work within the home (or business, church, mall, etc)
Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Offline joshua79109

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:07 pm »
I'd bet my wife can out-shoot a lot of men.   :rockout:

Just trying to lighten things up here.

I very much appreciate what the ladies are doing, putting this group together.  I believe there are many women who will be more involved due to things like this. 

Most of these ladies understand that not all of us (men) are the problem, there are just some fellas that give the rest of us a bad name in these situations.

I've helped teach some ladies, some of them are my wife's friends and I think it helps them feel comfortable because they know my wife and that helps them feel comfortable.  I have real examples of ladies who had not previously had good instruction due to intimidation, regardless of real or perceived.

I have a good example of a situation where a good friend of mine has a very hard time at the range with his wife.  They're a great couple, but he has an issue with getting way overbearing at the range when he's with his wife when in reality he really just has the basics down himself.  He finally noticed his problem and got my wife involved with his wife and now the experience has been much better according to my buddies wife.  I understand that not all men have this issue and am only trying to show a personal example of why I am proud these ladies are getting together as a ladies group.  I'd bet these ladies, once comfortable, would be great at taking instruction from any good instructor, man or woman.  And it sounds to me like KK_TXLady is open to all of that, judging by her posts, facebook page, and blog.

Some ladies don't care and elbow in with the fellas, but I appreciate the ladies only stuff for the ladies who wouldn't get as involved otherwise.  It's a wonderful thing to see a new shooter grow in confidence and ability and the ladies I've helped were all great and really listened and learned quickly.  Having my wife explain her perspectives and methods to them also helped, because she better understood how some of them felt as new shooters.  I believe a ladies only group will lead to many women getting involved that might not have, to a greater extent.   And what a great way for ladies to get together for fellowship.  I hope it hits the papers often and the bad guys around here think a little more before striking out against our ladies, who might just put up a good fight.

Anyway, I believe this is a good thing.  And, not all of us are pigs  :lol: - and I know everyone knows that already and no one has even said anything otherwise.  I just don't want to see folks get sideways about this.

Let's all support our ladies who are taking part in this.  It's good for all of us, in my opinion.  None of us are perfect and mess up what we mean from time to time.

Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:31:29 pm »
Hi folks.

Some of you may notice that this thread is MUCH smaller now.

Let's keep this thread open and clear for information or suggestions as requested by the OP.

Offline metalpackrat

• Banned
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:55 pm »
I made a comment about "why cant it be both" and I was serious, have a gun cleaning session.