Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Silver and Gold  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Jippy

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Outfitters
Silver and Gold
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:15 am »
I recently decided that I need to invest in something other than the U.S. Dollar for my families future.  I found this web site that makes things easy.

https://silversaver.com/

I have it set up to take a monthly amount out of my bank account. You don't have to do this, you can just  buy silver or gold as you need it.
And they offer discreet delivery to your door.  Just thought I would share.
Some men just want to watch the world burn. - Alfred

Dinkidao

Re: Silver and Gold
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:09:42 am »
I can't help but wonder how difficult it might be to retreive your investment should there be an actual financial collapse in this country, or if an actual collapse of government!

Don't get me wrong, I think gold and silver are good investments, but no so sure about someone else holding it.  And I never give someone else access to my bank account.

The problem with purchasing gold and silver and keeping it yourself, is this;  should there be financial collapse, and you want to use your gold or silver, the average person is not going to know if it is real, or how to determine if it is real, so they will be reluctant to take it.  Same for diamonds!

With all that being said, by all means you should put away some type of savings for the future.  As I tell my daughter, and grand kids, there is no such thing as extra money!

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
I agree with Dinkidao to a point. If our government devalues the dollar then your better off to be investing in gold or silver. There will be always be ways to sell gold and silver because even pawn shops can determine the value of them. Imho the wisest investment would be land. If America keeps printing money that they cannot backup with gold reserve then the U.S. dollar will no longer be the worlds currency, and then we will experience a depression unlike we can even imagine. England knows all about this. Its not a bad idea to not put all your eggs in the same basket if you know what i mean.

Offline rdm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »
gold and silver are good investments.i personally have some,also have a very good safe and of course plenty of weapons just in case someone comes trying to get it.point is make sure you have it in a safe spot!!!

Dinkidao

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
Gold has not been used to back up the US Dollar in many years.
Yes, the government stores a lot of it, but only as an internal safety net, not to guarantee the value of the Dollar on the world market.

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:48:19 pm »
The time has passed to invest in silver and gold. You don't buy it when it's at it's highest.

What do you plan to do with this silver and gold if/when a financial collapse does occur?

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »
The time has passed to invest in silver and gold. You don't buy it when it's at it's highest.

What do you plan to do with this silver and gold if/when a financial collapse does occur?
Im with forrest on this one. If you had gold you would prolly use it to get food and clothing. Why not just stock up on food, cloths,guns and ammo . these things are needed to survive .
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline loaded

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »
Gold and silver have good value and likely always will.  An ounce of silver could be kept on your person and traded for food or clothes when needed.  People have liked shiny things since the beginning of mankind.
I also follow the commodities markets and I would recommend against buying gold and silver right now as an investment. As currency yes as an investment, NOT NOW the guys are right it is a bit peaked out right now and headed for a decline.  Most grains are on the decline as well right now... a crap load of beef jerky would be a good way to go.. or bacon...mmm...
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction

Offline Jippy

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Zombie Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »
In 2008 I lost $2500 from my 401K . I am personally buying silver to have for when I retire. Silver will never be worth nothing. And when I do retire 30 or so years from now silver will most likely be worth more than today's price. And $32 an ounce for silver is way easier for me to buy than $1700 and once for gold. This is more of a preparedness thing. There is a lot of speculation on if/when the dollar will fall. If it doesn't then I will still own something that I can use when I get older. I closed my 401k because I don't want my money to be in the hands of some ass hole in New York that needs a new condo for his girl friend on the side. I have my own plan and supplies for if the SHTF. loaded, I like your "People have liked shiny things since the beginning of mankind". I think that in a society where there is a barter system in place that gold and silver will have its place. 
Some men just want to watch the world burn. - Alfred

Offline pretzel

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:45 am »
in the future ,gold and silver might be traded for guns and ammo , but I believe guns and ammo will be traded for a lot more gold someday. Just how I see it.
I carry a gun, I do
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:19 am »
In 2008 I lost $2500 from my 401K . I am personally buying silver to have for when I retire. Silver will never be worth nothing. And when I do retire 30 or so years from now silver will most likely be worth more than today's price. And $32 an ounce for silver is way easier for me to buy than $1700 and once for gold. This is more of a preparedness thing. There is a lot of speculation on if/when the dollar will fall. If it doesn't then I will still own something that I can use when I get older. I closed my 401k because I don't want my money to be in the hands of some ass hole in New York that needs a new condo for his girl friend on the side. I have my own plan and supplies for if the SHTF. loaded, I like your "People have liked shiny things since the beginning of mankind". I think that in a society where there is a barter system in place that gold and silver will have its place.

You are right gold and silver we never be worth nothing but with you buying it today at their highest prices there is a chance it will be worth less than what your paying for it now. JMO

Panhandle PondHoppers

Dinkidao

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:13:28 am »
A couple of times recently, I have seen a TV program where there are people living in some type of apocalyptic after life, and it even has dinosour type animals.  It's funny, but they even have computers..LOL.  Nevertheless, the point I'm trying to make is that it appears that the main commodities on that program are ammo and medical supplies.  That part seems very viable to me.

Perhaps if there is some type of collapse, the best thing to do is raid the nearest Pharmacy.
As for ammo, most of us think we have enough.  However, I contend that if you have less than 10,000 rounds of the caliber of your choice, you are not near prepared.  Ask a vet.  A three day patrol into hostile territory warrants each man to carry a 1,000 rounds.

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:41 pm »
My opinion, certain investments are just too risky, and beyond your own control.

Stocks, 401K's, and other retirement investments only pay enough to keep you from withdrawing. When a major corporation that is invested in sees major earnings, the surplus does not go out to the shareholders, but to the CEO's. When they sell out at a loss, they don't care. The stockholders take the loss, and the CEO's still get their benefits and bonuses.

Gold, and precious metals, while they have shown potential in the past, are also subject to seizure, and/or gov't control. It was once illegal for private parties to own gold (other than jewelry), it could become that way again in possible financial collapse. Any you own, would become illegal to sell or trade, and become seizable by law.

Things needed/desired, for someone to live without any income would retain the most desired value in any scenario of financial, or governmental collapse. Water purifiers/filtration systems, dehydrators, clothing, portable shelters, firearms and ammo, tactical equipment, medicine, surgical tools/equipment, nicotene patches, tobacco, portable heaters/stoves (non-electric), generators and solar panels, power invertors, tools and building supplies/hardware.

Under past legislation for emegency preparedness, anything else you have may be seized, vehicles, real property etc. etc.

Offline Hank45acpHill

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Yep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »
For those of you who want to be educated on this subject, I would commend this YouTube video.  It is rather long but very informative.  Gold and Silver are nowhere near a bubble status yet.  This current reduction in prices are an excellent buying opportunity.  Anyway, if you are intellectually curious, check it out.  Happy Thanksgiving AGO!

Debt Collapse - $20,000 Gold - Mike Maloney On Gold, Silver & Economicspowered by Aeva
Deo Vindici 

Offline pretzel

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 06:25:29 am »
From what I am learning, A person should be getting out of debt right now rather than buying gold, silver or most anything. And if you are out of debt you should be saving money. The banks discourage it with interest at .2% tho. Am I seeing this right?
I carry a gun, I do

Offline G21C

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 10:30:09 am »
Yes!
Absolutely. I been outta debt for a while now. Never felt better. Debt free is freedom as it was intended. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a job you hate, because you had to have that fancy new truck, and now you got 5 more years of payments, or CC debt that you can never get out of. lol
Being in debt is akin to slavery.

Offline G21C

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 10:47:35 am »
But seriously, being out of debt is essential with a very cloudy future forecast. Especially if you have family that depends on you.
My ex-inlaws raked in over $200,000 a year, with jobs in Aviation Engineering and Corporate Insurance management. They were in debt up to their eyeballs, but didn't care, thinking they would only continue to increase their revenue. (we lived up north not far from Chicago). When the youngest son came home from college for the holidays, and wanted to go skiing with his friends, they would simply hand him three or four credit cards and let him go. He would then jump a plane and fly to Vale, Co. Not your cheapest ski resort.
When they decided they no longer liked their living room couch, they didn't just buy a new one. They hired an interior decorator and re-did the entire room, all furniture, walls, lamps, art....everything. That's how they lived.
Then, he got laid off by a shady move to rid the company of older employees before they reached retirement.
Less than a year later, his wife had a stroke (brain annurism) and never came out of it. He was forced into bankruptcy, and had to go on welfare so his wife could continue on life support. He died of cancer a year after she did. Sad.
The point is, no job has any security anymore. Security is essential for aquiring debt.

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »
debt free except the house and it was only a 15 year mortgage when we bought it with intentions to pay it off in 5 years.

Stellarvore

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 10:48:16 pm »
I'd be interested in buying some silver, as I can actually afford it, and stashing it somewhere, for use when it's time for me to retire.  Or other emergencies. 

The gov't would have to know I had it, if they were going to seize it...and that's another item on my list of things I'd shoot someone for.  Coming to my house and claiming the authority to take my stuff.

Silver has many industrial and commercial uses, so will always be worth money.  And since there is a finite supply of it, there will eventually be a high demand for it. 

Offline Hank45acpHill

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Yep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 08:46:48 am »
I'd be interested in buying some silver, as I can actually afford it, and stashing it somewhere, for use when it's time for me to retire.  Or other emergencies. 

The gov't would have to know I had it, if they were going to seize it...and that's another item on my list of things I'd shoot someone for.  Coming to my house and claiming the authority to take my stuff.

Silver has many industrial and commercial uses, so will always be worth money.  And since there is a finite supply of it, there will eventually be a high demand for it.

That is also my thinking.  Actually, since silver has so many commercial uses, there now exists more gold in the world than silver.  Silver is actually more scarce than gold.  When we get out of debt, we would be wise to save our money but not in paper fiat currency.  You can save it in Gold, Silver, Guns, Ammo, Jewels....etc.  Anything but paper fiat currency.  It is still savings. 
Deo Vindici 

Offline chartreuse

• AGO 5-0
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »
Anything but paper fiat currency.

This.

I've been thinking about inflation, lately. Last I checked, it was anywhere from 3.5% to 4.5%, depending on which measure you use. That means you'd need to be earning the same rate in interest, just to have the value of your savings stand still. Since most folks don't get a rate anything like that, it means that your savings are worth less each day than they were the day before.

Which brings me to debt. Like several of y'all, I hate it. I pay off the cards in full every month and the only loan I have is the mortgage on the house. But... I'm starting to wonder whether there's a calculation to be done, figuring in inflation, what interest rate you could get and what you might buy with the money, to see whether there's a sweet spot where you might actually be able to make debt profitable.

Then again, folks doing that exact same calculation with house prices is what got us into this chit in the first place! :lol:
A kitten told me to do it.

Offline loaded

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
Yes.  I am all for being debt free but there has to be a sweet spot, especially with 4% mortgages and 4% inflation.  I think the debt free advantage is more mental than anything else.  It may not always pay to be debt free on paper but man it feels right.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction

Offline flb_78

• AGO 5-0
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Always watching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »
A mortgage company can't foreclose on a house that's paid for.

Dinkidao

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:33 am »

No, but the state can take it if you cant pay your property tax!

Offline pretzel

• Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:15 am »

No, but the state can take it if you cant pay your property tax!
If it gets that bad then I believe you can pay the tax in lead and copper---lol
I carry a gun, I do