Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Silver and Gold  (Read 5337 times)

Dinkidao

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Silver and Gold
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:08 am »
I had to remind my brother of that when he paid off his mortgage and thought he owned his property.  In most states you will always just be renting because you can't pay off property tax.  The only difference from renting is that you have all the liability!

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 06:48:39 pm »
There's nothing wrong with renting, but I would certainly never buy property where the tax rate was equivalent to any rent either. My property taxes don't amount to squat. I could pay them by picking up aluminum cans off the side of the road, a couple times a year, just from here to town. :)
And yes I own it. If I stopped paying the tax, (there are other options too, extensions etc.) it would take them almost a year (here) to remove me, at which at any time I could catch them up. If you are renting, or foreclosed, you may only get 30 days, with no options.

Offline Lano

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 06:29:54 am »

Just paid my property taxes.  It always irks me to have to pay over and over (year to year) on something I have owned for a long time.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in Texas the homestead law prevents them from removing you if you can't/won't pay your property taxes.  The problem lies with your heirs.  They would have to catch up on all taxes to inherit the property or the county could seize it. 
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans."  -General Robert E. Lee

Offline gyz77

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »
I have gold and silver but am about to sell so I can buy more guns and ammo!!! I cant eat it or shoot it I don't need it!! I have food, water, guns and ammo stored no sense in sitting on silver or gold now!!

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
Buy silver and if flush buy gold. Stay in your 401K-why, because for most of you only half the money going in is yours and the other half came from your employer. Double your money instantly with a 401K. I too lost a lot more than $2500 in 2008 (how about $200,000) I am much older also.I took control and looked at ETF's. If your plan permits you can buy gold and silver coins thru an ETF Look it up)to hold in your 401K or IRA but cannot withdraw the gold and silver. Just sell it and take the money at better pricing in an emergency.
Physical gold and silver will always go up and down but the trend is always to end up more than it went down. It is just not fast in doing so.If our money becomes hyperinflated and you need help, at least gold and silver can buy help.
I guess bottom line is that precious metals will not make you rich but will not end up making you poor.
When I was in the military, gold was $35 ounce but illegal to hold U.S. gold. Mexican or African gold coins were ok to own.
Makes it sound like those that bought then are filthey rich now.
Nope, I bought a new Ford in 1963 for $2050. That was 58 of those gold coins. Today it would take 35 gold coins. So some increase wealth staying ahead of inflation, but not filthy rich.
Someone said the stats are 3.5 to 4.5% inflation. I think much more. What did you pay last year and now this year for commodities.. Pound of coffe or beans versus now
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline uudfourty

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 07:29:24 am »
The door is closed on silver and gold right now.

I know this sounds absurd, but I've found guns to be one of the best assets for investment. They're easy and fast to liquidate, and you get to use them in the meantime.
foUr --> foUrteen --> foUrty.

It's not the world that needs saving, it's the human spirit that's in jeopardy.

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:56 am »
The door is closed on silver and gold right now.

I know this sounds absurd, but I've found guns to be one of the best assets for investment. They're easy and fast to liquidate, and you get to use them in the meantime.
Thats what Im a thinkin
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline Fuli

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • AK-47, When every orc must absolutely die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »
I liquidated all my guns and ammo an invested in MF Global.
The idea is not to die for your country. It is to make the other sonofabi$%#@ die for his. G. Patton

Offline loaded

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:06 pm »
I tried to tell my wife that guns are the way to invest but she's not falling for it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction

Offline uudfourty

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »
It's easy to demonstrate to her. Just take her to Erwin some Saturday. The dozens of people in there looking at firearms will show her that the demand exists. Then look at some old forums to see the price of a S&W K frame around 2005 and then look up a price today. Few things have that kind of guaranteed return.

Combine that with the notion that we're likely to have another great gun panic when Obama is re-elected. It's a good time to buy.
foUr --> foUrteen --> foUrty.

It's not the world that needs saving, it's the human spirit that's in jeopardy.

Offline G21C

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »
I thought I'ld post this here, just as kinda an FYI.

I put up five auctions on Ebay, all for U.S. silver.
I had bids and watchers the moment they went up.
As much as Ive sold there, I never seen auctions this busy.

Offline loaded

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:36 pm »
Gold went up about $20 today... could account for it.  Oil is up, most grains are up...  I think you are good investing in anything except currency right now.

Offline rdm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:19 am »
well gold has risen about $30.00 per ounce since this thread was started.maybe not a fabulous return but is only 3months!!

Offline loaded

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »
There has been some talks about guns and ammo being a good solid investment.  I have shopped with Bud's Gun Shop in the past and today they sent out this e-mail.  It mentions record sales, rising prices and gun values over the past couple months.  I thought it was interesting, being a collector myself.  It also says a lot about the state of our nation and economy:

"After spending the first six weeks of 2012 attending various firearms industry shows, including the NSSF Shot Show in Las Vegas with the highest dealer attendance of record, there was one obvious recurring theme from every manufacturer we visited with...."we just can't make enough firearms". Although we fully expected another surge later in 2012, it has already started as the ATF continues to report all time record highs in background/NICS checks as well as Conceal Carry/CCW permit applications.

We are also experiencing record high sales on www.budsgunshop.com, actually breaking our all time single day sales records TWICE this month ! Considering we had no special promotions going on, and we exceeded every sales record dating all the way back to 2003, it seems pretty clear ......"Here we go again !"

As the national media and general public become increasingly aware of the deteriorating supply and demand issues.....we ALL know what comes next....higher prices ! Although upsetting to most people, it can also be an amazing opportunity for those who are in a position to buy "early and often". Whether you are an investor, collector, or reseller...you would be hard pressed to find a single more lucrative investment than firearms at this time. If you are not currently in a position to buy ?....you should still be very happy about the future appreciation in value of your current firearms collection !

Offline Rancher

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »
I agree with most of the final conclusions but one I want to argue against.
Stay in or get back in a 401K.

Why,well to start with it is an immediate 100% increase in your money if you contribute the same as the company max. Think about it. Your company matches up x,y,z lets say 4% so you put in the full 4% and the company adds 4%. Unless I failed rithmatic(failed spelling) that is now 8% in your account not just the 4% you contributed. Don't just ignore the 401k bute proactive on where your money goes within the guidlines the company has chosen. 

How can I say this when I lost $160,000 in the great bubble burst because "I" listened to some bad advice(against my instincts) and placed it wrong late in life. Because it was my bad, I knew better.

And yes, get some gold and silver. My opinion is in U.S. coins in silver dollars and 1/10 oz. gold. 1/10 oz will not be a hard to use at $170 versus $1700  of the larger coins. After all, there are still a lot of pre-1933 gold coins out there and that is when 'all' gold was confiscated. Be discrete.
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Offline G21C

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »
401k's, are not all "easy" to draw out of if needed. My son was moving out of state, so he filled out his paperwork. Still took almost 4 1/2 months, and was $12,000 short due to the bust that happened during the wait. Seems those would only be good, in good times. If times go bad again, or get worse, forget it.
I am more doubtfull too, about silver and gold. See, let's just say our economy takes a total crap, and our current money becomes worthless. No one will have "excess" anything to sell. Folks would probably just trade comodity for comodity, or comodity for labor, and those wouldn't last very long. We'ld quickly run out of most stuff.

Offline WrongWay

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »
day late,  and a buncha dollars short...  but better half and I work on all these plans,  silver,  no gold yet,  guns,  ammo,  horse riding gear,  food stuffs,  and my 401k, taking loan when available (to give uncle sam more money) to buy above mentioned items.
stored in small amounts in 3 states.. (small box in a family members attic).  todays world we will never be rich,  probably work till death,  but spreading our eggs into multiple baskets we hope to always survive
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong. " 
Calvin Coolidge