Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: The Texas Militia - Open Meeting  (Read 11894 times)

Offline TxTail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
The Texas Militia - Open Meeting
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
To all,

The Texas Militia will hold an open meeting at 3pm on Saturday, January 7 at the NW Branch Library - 6100 SW 9th Ave (near VA Hospital, Bell & 9th).

Click For Google Map

Please come on out and join us to learn more about our group and possibly joining our ranks. More information about us can be found online at http://texasmilitia.org as well.

Thanks,
Sgt. Miller
The Texas Militia
http://texasmilitia.org
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:27:30 am by TxTail »

Offline cleanview

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • cleanviewamarillo.com
Re: The Texas Militia - Open Meeting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:56:45 am »
the title alone sounds scary. Even more after reading mos to of the site.

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:25:10 am »
I'm sorry that you interpret it that way. Personally, I read stuff everyday in the news that scares me. Plus, there are many people out there that think you, I and other members of this forum are very scary because we own and use firearms legally. :-) To each their own.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:13:19 am by TxTail »

Offline L33J@M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:59:40 am »
Thank you for the info. Keep up the good work.
leejam

"1911 mag, Twinkie, Twinkie, cupcake, primary mag" - Magpul

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »
Nothing scary about exercising our Constitutional rights...whats scary is the attempted revocation of said rights by our gov't in the name of 'safety'...

Offline Lone_Wolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:59:47 pm »
I can't believe they don't allow black boots.

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »
I can't believe they don't allow black boots.
No shit huh? lol kinda odd...not too much info on the site tho...

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:29:52 pm »
What additional info are you looking for? All you gotta do is ask. :-)

Offline hink

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »
Black boots are likely not permitted since the military services switched from black boots to a tan/desert boot in the 2002-2004 timeframe. Black doesn't exist in nature, and it's better camo to blend in if the color matches nature.

One issue -- other than the complete abortion (1000 yard AK) created by Red Jacket, what AK47 fires .308? The site is posting incorrect information for the ammunition to the preferred weapon. Additionally -- if the group is going to prefer certain weapons, they should also know that not all AR weapons are chambered for 223 or 5.56 -- there is a difference, and it using ammunition in a firearm for which it was not designed present a dangerous safety situation.

Overall, the tone of the website is particularly bothersome to me. I'm going to assume the site presents accurately to the reader the intention and attitude of the group. The tone is particularly aggressive in stating that the militia members are 'trained for emergencies and committed to providing relief and security to citizens in need. We are prepared to protect the life, liberty and property of citizens during times of natural disaster, civil unrest, and other threats both foreign and domestic." Aggressive statements of this kind suggest this group is not just preparing for incidents, but wanting an incident to happen.

The group is obviously being structured after Army, based on the uniform regulations. Without intending to incite a board rebellion or service rivalry, the Army has not had that great a reputation in the past few years - I'll refer to the Abu Ghraib incident as well as the recent Ft Hood shooting. If the group decides it's good to adopt certain military-type regulations, perhaps adopting the discipline and organizational structure but not requiring an Army type appearance and rank names would work better towards being able to identify group members without using the military appearance.

My suggestions -- from an outsider -- adjust the tone of the website to soften the appearance of the group to those curious about joining or learning about the group. Change the uniform regulations, not to reduce the ability of the group to perform 'relief and security' tasks, but to make the group seem more like a volunteer service group and less like a paramilitary group bent on a display of force under the guise of 'preparedness.'

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »
The honest feedback is greatly appreciated.

The only thing I disagree with is that the tone is one of "wanting" something to happen. We simply prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I know of no one in this organization as it exists today that "wants" something to happen. However, this is not at all intended to diminish your feedback and reaction to what is on the website. It is appreciated.

I never noticed the .308 for the AKs until now. The website has recently been overhauled and it is a simple mistake left in there after several edits before going live. I am kinda embarassed it slipped by though. Thanks for catching that. :-) We are certainly aware of the AR-15 and the caliber noted there is correct for the purposes of standardization within our group....the noted caliber being recommended. Being a civilian militia though, you bring what you got.

Yes, the structure and ranking is modeled after the Army. That isn't going to change. We do however refuse to let political correctness endanger our troops or our mission. 'nuff said.

Offline hink

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »
TxTail....I've been known in the past to incite just a tick of argumentativeness in conversation, particularly in the very first initiation. Thanks for being open minded enough to be willing to engage in a conversation. You're welcome for the honest feedback...if two men can't just talk, then we've already beaten ourselves.

I understand that when folks are providing their own rifles, you get a variety. As a historical parallel, the first two US Marine battalions were comprised of volunteers who were required to provide their own long guns. Of course, at that time, the riflesmith would provide appropriate casting materials for the rifle caliber, and the Marine would cast his own round ball over a campfire at night. Times have changed....but safety still reigns. There are several 30-caliber rounds available, and I've seen a couple of instances of attempts to improperly combine 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300winmag rounds and rifles. Best case, the rifle just doesn't work; worst case is a kaboom.

Perhaps I was quick in using the word 'wanting'...but I stand by my previous statement about the strong wording on the site. Your rebuttal still carries the same message as the site content, but in a fashion that truly carries a less forceful intent. It seems that the website is an advertisement for the group, and that advertisement should be focused to target a certain part of the population. Suffice to say, after having read the entirety of the website I would not be inclined to join a group that presents itself in such a fashion to the public.

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 09:53:01 pm »
A lack of civil discourse is one of the reasons our country is in the mess it is in right now. I do my best to try and keep it alive.

Definitely agree about improperly chambered rounds. We make sure each new recruit's weapons and ammo are checked out by the 1st SGT prior to using it.

As far as the tone of the site, we get complaints that it is too mellow and passive. lol!! It does however accurately convey our overall attitude which, in my opinion, is no different than that of militias in our country's and state's history. Myself and everybody who joins is fine with it. George Washington didn't use stern language against the British and neither did Sam Houston against Santa Anna. Just poking a bit of fun there at you. :-)

Suffice to say, after having read the entirety of the website I would not be inclined to join a group that presents itself in such a fashion to the public.

And that is ok too. At least you know that right up front before spending any more time researching us further. I would say to that end, the website served it's purpose. Agreed? It is impossible to have any group that appeals favorably to everybody. That is not our intent nor expectation.

However, I do admit that the website fails to convey our more community-oriented efforts and goal. The website itself is still being built up, but the holidays have made it difficult to coordinate among command as to the content. We have a communications company comprised of ham radio operators. We have two mobile repeaters and an array of radio equipment among us that can be utilized in the event of a disaster. I am one of those hams. We also have medical unit being organized and The Texas Militia has several certified medical professionals to various degrees. Every member is being strongly encouraged to learn first aid. It is part of our new training curriculum being put together as I speak. 

Hope that helps somewhat.

And of course, the public meeting is a great opportunity to find out more and talk to command who will be there. :-)

Regards,
Sgt. Miller
The Texas Militia
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:12:25 pm by TxTail »

Offline hink

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:33:25 pm »
We have a communications company comprised of ham radio operators. We have two mobile repeaters and an array of radio equipment among us that can be utilized in the event of a disaster. I am one of those hams. We also have medical unit being organized and The Texas Militia has several certified medical professionals to various degrees. Every member is being strongly encouraged to learn first aid. It is part of our new training curriculum being put together as I speak. 

That's the kind of information that, if included in the website, would show that the group is civic-oriented and perhaps attract a genre of society that is not quite so apt to join a 'militia'. A full 1/4 of the site is dedicated to uniforms...laundering, patches, colors, appropriate attire....a show of civic duty and the desire to assist the community in a time of need would be a balance to the public face of the group -- if the group is seeking to increase the membership, then it would seem that it would wish to attract all available members.

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:09 pm »
No argument there. :-)

Happy New Year!

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 01:34:47 am »
Yeah Hink idk what it is about u that always get ppl up n arms (no pun intended LOL)...having been a member of this site for quite awhile I've noticed it myself although i see no real reason to get worked up over conversation...after all that's all it is...I would like to think that most of us can engage in 'competitive discussion' w/o it being misconstrued and if it were, to be able to discuss them rationally u know as adults lol but I agree....adding more content as to the community-based functions which the Texas Militia serves would likely dispel or at the very least soften the image one gets when u see the word "militia" since I do believe the word itself has been demonized...

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 06:28:57 pm »
 Can you give me some instances when TTM has helped the community with a disaster of any kind id like to read more about it.

Thanks Dale
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline Hank45acpHill

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Yep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »
OK....I have a question about this organization.  This statement is on their website under the title "Guiding Principles":

"WE AFFIRM: Every citizen in the State of Texas may join The Texas Militia without regard to race, gender, religion, age or political affiliation; provided no one may be a member who advocates or acts for the overthrow of the government established under the Constitution of the United States."

The second half of this statement is problematic.  Most of the current activity and expenditure of the General Government is at best "extra-constitutional" as there is no constitutional authority for it.  Ex/Education, the war on drugs, welfare, healthcare, etc...ad nauseaum.  Is it OK if we wish to overthrow that part of government? 

If we read the Declaration of Independence, we will see that "...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

I have never understood how one can study the founding documents of the United States and not call for the overthrow of the government as it exists today...it bears very little resemblance to what the founders set up. 
Deo Vindici 

Stellarvore

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 01:58:25 am »
I might have come to the meeting to hear you out, but 3pm is when I start work on Saturday.  So, I'll just weigh in here.

Your site needs more information, which you are already aware of.  You also could do with a FAQ section.  Not everyone believes that militias are legal.  I want to be a police officer.  Can I join a militia?  Probably not, but I don't know that for sure.  It's not a question you ask a recruiter, either.  A small and heavily moderated discussion board would not be a bad idea.  I say "heavily moderated" because due to the nature of your organization, you're bound to attract loonies, Obama-worshipers, and Feds.  The last thing you need is a bunch of off topic ramblings.  Remember, under the NDAA, we're all terrorists, and all guilty as charged no matter what. 

Now, as for my example question, I know for a fact that I cannot be employed by the County Sheriff [Potter or Randall] if I am a member of an organization that wishes to overthrow the government.  I'd say that your mission statement isn't really enough to dispel those concerns.  So obviously, I won't be joining. 

I have some concerns with the military uniforms, too.  You are not the military.  Your Texas Militia embroidery isn't enough for the average citizen to understand that you're not a soldier in one of the four branches, and therefore will cause issues if you ever get involved in anything.  Not to mention, some people might be inclined to shoot at soldiers in a martial law situation.  I think it's a mistake to use that camoflage uniform. 

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 09:23:08 am »
Great questions...I'll endeavor to answer them the best I can.

Can you give me some instances when TTM has helped the community with a disaster of any kind id like to read more about it.

There are no official press releases nor instance of The Texas Militia being deployed at the request of any government agency in times of disaster. However, small contingents of volunteers representing TTM have helped with Hurricane Katrina and I believe Rita and most recently Ike. A small team also traveled to Joplin, Missouri to help with the tornado disaster there including a K9 search team. Keep in mind though that Texas has not seen any major disasters of the scale where we would be needed. In fact, the Texas State Guard, of whom we have a few members that used to serve with them, in 50 years only was called ONCE and that was for Katrina. This according to a member who served in the TSG for many years. We cannot expect any more than that, although we definitely live in a different world with many more threats other than mother nature.

We have worked to raise money and donations for Christmas for the Troops, Toys for Tots (recently in conjunction with the CAF in Midland) and are in the process of getting our certifications to be able to work with FEMA, Red Cross and the Salvation Army for purposes of disaster relief.  We have many amateur radio operators, former medics and corpsmen as well as civilian trained medical personnel. Our members are already contributing to the community outside of The Texas Militia.

Hank45acpHill: ANY member that talks about advocating the overthrow of the government and we find out about it, is immediately asked to leave. If it is a serious threat rather than idle talk, we WILL report it to law enforcement authorities. That is a strict zero tolerance policy of The Texas Militia. We screen potential members with 2-3 interviews in an effort to prevent such dangerous attitudes within our ranks. It is also why we prefer those with existing CHLs, or willing to apply for one in short order. It is one more layer of screening for us in regard to a background check. I have personally screened out two candidates who expressed this viewpoint and denied their membership without hesitation. I cannot stress enough that we take this very seriously.

Stellarvore: Sorry you cannot make the meeting on Saturday. However, I am available to speak with anybody personally who is seriously interested in becoming a member. The website has been under construction as the old one was NOT in line with our renewed focus and goals. Unfortunately, it has not been completed yet as the holidays came around causing the efforts to become idle for a few weeks. Rest assured, the FAQ section including more about us is in the works. We are being as meticulous as we can be because, as you can see in this forum alone, every word or combination of words (or lack thereof) is often picked apart under a microscope and withering scrutiny. I challenge anybody out there to try and put a website together under those conditions. :-)

Everything we are doing is legal and those who think otherwise are misinformed and making very broad-brushed assumptions based on some bad apples of some smaller groups of radical extremists that call themselves "militias". We are quite aware of the persona of the word "militia". However, again, we are completely legal and are not hiding in the shadows like some of the bad apples. The fringe, shadowy "militias" do not appear in public as we are doing because they have something to hide, obviously. They sure as hell aren't going to hold open public meetings as we are.

As far as you wanting to work in the LE community, I understand and appreciate that they don't allow their deputies or officers to be associated with any group that advocates the overthrow of the government. That is why we have both active and retired LE (and FD/EMT) in our ranks. In fact, one of the gentlemen that will be there this Saturday is a retired LE veteran with 30 years under his belt. He still works within the community in a different capacity. We also have a member that works for a federal government agency and he had no problems in getting the green light to join. We welcome and encourage all LE, FD/EMT, and medical personnel with open arms. Honorably discharged military veterans fill our ranks as well....some of which were wounded while honorably serving our country!

We will never deploy on our own, but only under the request and invitation of state and local officials, particularly County Sheriffs. In no way do we ever want to be perceived as rogue vigilantes. If I were a sheriff and a bunch of guys showed in camo with rifles unannounced intent on taking the law into their own hands, I would have a problem with that. :-)

We are: The Texas Militia Assistance and Defense Forces. That entire name is meant to help convey our mission and purpose.

As with ANY organization (and I bet even this forum based on the rules of conduct that I read), there are bad apples who tarnish the group's image. There are bad cops, bad fireman, bad judges, etc out there as well but are in the very small minority. Regardless of how careful you screen people, some get through. We are no different. In doing some research, you will find that a group of FORMER Texas Militia members went to the Arizona border and got into ALOT of trouble. They went down there AGAINST orders and were summarily discharged from the group, many of which are still barred from ever becoming a member again. However, the damage was done and is something we often have to answer questions about to this day. It is also why we had a change in command which is committed to doing everything within reason and ability to prevent something like that from happening again.

It is very important to keep in mind that most all of us have regular day jobs and families too. We are your neighbors and co-workers. We are definitely volunteers in The Texas Militia. That means we don't get paid one cent for our service. In fact, each one of us spends quite abit of our disposable income to the cause. Anybody on this forum can attest to how expensive just being a shooting enthusiast can be. :-) So, sometimes I have encounters where it seems some are not aware of this fact. We all do the best we can with the free time we have from other obligations.

One thing about the military uniforms that you brought up. We wear them because we are a militia. We aren't selling cookies door to door. We are what we are and we do not deny that. We have alot of veteran military members in our ranks. We operate and train in a military fashion. If called upon, we will act as a military unit. And guess what? As a member, any of my blood spilled in the course of duty serving my country and community is just as red as any member of our standing military. I swore an oath to defend my country, state and community. So, my apologies if I am a little ruffled in response to your opinion, but I am a bit offended by your statement, sir.

With that out of the way, I hope you will reconsider. If not, then that is fine too. The Texas Militia isn't for everybody, and it isn't intended nor expected to be. 

I am going to be very busy this week preparing for the upcoming meeting...as well as my day job and other responsibilities. So, I will do my best to respond to further questions or inquiries, but it might be awhile before I am able to do so. I encourage anybody else with questions and wanting to know better who we are to attend the open meeting this Saturday. You can talk to the top brass yourself instead of a lowly SGT like myself. :-)

Regards,
Sgt. Miller
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:33:58 am by TxTail »

Offline Robbie

• Administrator
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26:51 am »
The impression I get from the website and from your posts here is actually still leaning towards the "wanting something to happen" attitude. You say you won't "deploy" unless you're asked to do so, but as long as we still have a military, I suspect you never will be. Government agencies already have the real military at their disposal, and it doesn't present such a liability as asking for your groups assistance.

I also agree with everyone else on the uniforms situation. There are plenty of other ways to convey a group affiliation besides uniforms that bear striking resemblance to a real military soldier. I don't think the current uniforms are a good idea for that reason. You're not a "military unit", you would only act as one, by your own admission, thus you shouldn't try to look like something you're not.

Also, if your website isn't complete, it shouldn't be available in part to anyone. There should be a holding page in place until it is complete. That way, you wouldn't have to explain to us, or anyone else, that "it's coming" and it wouldn't convey an image that you're obviously not satisfied with.

The idea of your group bothers me because it really does sound like you're all preparing for something you really want to happen, so you'll get the chance to put that training and spent money to use knowing that the chances of any government agency asking for your assistance is slim to none.

My $0.02
Regards,
Robbie

If guns cause crime, pencils mispel werds, and spoons made Rosie O'Donell fat.

Offline TxTail

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »
Well, everybody is certainly going to have different interpretations even though I contend yours isn't an accurate one. And as long as we are being honest, I certainly see that this group and forum are heavily skewed to seeing us as a negative and a threat. I truly doubt that no matter what is on the website and what I say here in this forum, that type of bias cannot be changed. I have done my best to explain who we are, what we do, and most importantly who we are not. I do not see any benefit to continue trying to do so further on this thread. Everything that has needed be said and addressed has been. If folks still aren't comfortable and insist on us "wanting" something to happen and want ridicule us over uniforms, so be it. At least everybody is being honest about it.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and certainly encouraged to not seek membership in The Texas Militia as a result. All I wanted to do was post an announcement to our public meeting this weekend so that those who are interested and want to learn more about us would have the opportunity to do so and see if we are a good fit for them...and vice versa. I have had my say on the subject and will not waste any more of my time nor yours on the subject. Sorry to have been a bother.

Good day, gentlemen.

Sgt. Miller

Offline Hank45acpHill

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Yep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
Whoa!  Must have touched a nerve or two...

Personally, I don't have anything against a bunch of old men running around playing soldier...if that is what they want to do.  I just don't think it is a good fit for me.  No offense intended!
Deo Vindici 

Offline fsufan333

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
Never mind these cats can I get an answer to my question. I would like to learn more
Panhandle PondHoppers

Offline rdm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »
gee,i guess you guys hurt his feelers.you bunch of hardas***.he seems very passionate about his organization,while i personally would not want to be part of that kind of organization.i doubt very seriously that any law enforcement agency will ever call them for assistance,so why bother?make yourself and your loved ones prepared for the worst scenario is the way i look at it.

Stellarvore

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »
No one asked you to leave.  You're only wasting time if you don't want to be here.  I don't view your group as a threat, because I've never seen them in action and we're not at a place where they'd be mobilizd anyway.  I'm surprised if I ruffled your feathers about the uniforms.  I never said your blood worth less than a regular soldier, that was you putting words into my mouth.  I can see that we're not going to get anywhere talking about that. 

However...no need to leave so soon.  Also, I hope you signed up with your usual e-mail so that interested parties can PM you. 

And by the way, for the benefit of everyone else, I "want" something to happen.  Why?  So we can get it over with, and get back to what our country is supposed to be.  I'd be willing to fight for that.  However, I'm going to contribute in my own way, I don't think that this organization is for me.  But maybe it IS for some of you. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:45:56 pm by Stellarvore »