Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Poll

Please rate your experience and provide helpful comments for others

***** - Great all around Gun Shop
1 (2.6%)
**** - Good, but not Great
7 (18.4%)
*** - Fair, could use improvement
14 (36.8%)
** - Bad, needs to improve in a few areas
11 (28.9%)
* - Very Bad, don't waste your time
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Review: Riverfield's  (Read 10643 times)

Offline Darkpriest667

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Riverfield's
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:05 am »
I haven't been in there in quite a while- gotta be really bored or after something specific before I do.  The lady (mid 50's?) is a real piece of work.  Now I don't have a bad job- but I also don't make it a point to dress just real well either. I figger that's my right.  Anyhow, I walked in and she ruther pointedly asked what I was looking for.  I said, "Nothing in particular- just like to look for anything I don't already have."  She said, "Well do you want a rifle, shotgun, pistol, or what?"  I said, "I don't know yet- that's why I'm looking."  She- "Well surely you have some kind of idea!"  Me- "No ma'am, not yet."  At this point, she came out from behind the counter and was following me around like a bird dog.  She said, "Just tell me what you want!"  I started to leave, but a stubborn streak kicked in and I decided I wan't leaving until I looked everything over or they kicked me out.  Right in front of me, she started pointing out, "Here's the used shotguns, and two rows over are the..."  I cut her off and said, "Ma'am, I can see just fine- I have a fairly large collection and I'm not new to firearms and I just got back from Iraq and just don't feel like I'm obliged to dress in a suit and a tie to come in here.  If I see anything I don't already have- I will bring it to the counter and we can do the paperwork and ring it up."  At this point, I just stood there and stared at her until she felt uncomfortable enough to go back behind the counter.  When I got to the part of the counter with the 1911's in it, she said, "These are kind of expensive..."  I just said, "Ma'am, I just said I just got back from Iraq, I have no financial problems, and up to now I don't think you have anything in here I couldn't have paid cash for."  So, with that kind of staff- I don't go back very often.

thats the lady I was talking about in my post... I will never walk into that place again until she doesnt work there.
"In God we trust, all others we monitor" - NSA motto

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother------ in the room, accept no substitutes.

Offline DoubleJ

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 08:52:23 am »
yeah that lady is annoying, one time i asked if they were gonna be at the gun show and she said, "We have a gun show everyday in here why do we need to go to the civic center and pay for a booth and sit there all weekend?"

Offline RustyShackleford

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 08:16:34 pm »
Dropped by Riverfields today while I was in the neighbourhood.

The fellow there said hello and beyond that didn't seem to bothered that we were in his store.

Offline 10-96

• Gun Enthusiast
  • I just had an idea... nope, guess it was only gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 08:27:28 pm »
UGH! That woman is still there!
One of these days I'll say something totally brilliant- and it'll look so friggin cool when I add it here!

Offline danny66

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:51 am »
I like Riverfield's I bought my last two gun's there. I was happy with the prise.
Ride Hard Live Hard Shoot Strait

Offline metalpackrat

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:30 am »
Every new gun or used gun I have ever seen there has been about 20 percent higher than I could get it at erwins.

Offline Txlaw1

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 10:32:58 am »
I had not been in the store that is now Riverfield's since it was Billy Fred's store.  Had no reason too.  But I stopped in last month and took a look around.  Not impressed with the stock as they had little I was interested in and what I saw was priced higher than elsewhere.  I did have a suit or sportcoat and slacks so I got good treatment by a younger fellow - maybe Tyler.  But the one holster type I was interested in, they had a big stock but did not have the model for my gun.  I'll probably by heading farther east or farther west in Amarillo for most of my purchases.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

Offline BookerAmerican

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • FFL
    • View Profile
    • Booker Americans
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 02:40:26 am »
Speaking from my own personal experience, I think Riverfield's is as good a place as any to do business. Are they the cheapest? No, but they stand behind every sale they make and if you talk nice and present cash, you can usually make those high prices lower. I've bought three guns there and have had no bad experience. I bought a used S&W 4506 there recently that malfunctioned shortly thereafter. I took it in and they had it good as new by that same afternoon. I live two hours from Amarillo and make it a point to stop in every time I'm in town.
Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest.

- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress,
July 1775.

NRA Golden Eagle
TSRA Member
President, Booker Americans
Owner, Texas Republic Arms
FFL Holder

Offline runt

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »
I've bought several guns in there and they sure don't care about how I dress! I always get good service, and they do stand behind their merchandise. Never had a problem and I would recommend them.
Do not bore me with tales of your quirky upbringing. Put the gun down or die where you stand.--(Greg Sagan 03/24/2009)

Offline Amarillo Tactical

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Amarillo Tactical
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:57 am »
Same same same.  They cater to what I call "Wolflinites."  It is like a lot of other shops in the Wolflin area.  They have nice stuff, especially their fly fishing gear.  Safes are soooo expensive.  Every now and then you can get treated like a human being in there.  The fact is they don't have to and don't cater to the "average Joe."  They have a plethora of Amarillo's millionaires that shop there.  Yes, the older lady is not very nice.  Good to shop there to get an idea.  Their gun smith is a very nice guy, but they wont touch an AR.  That is weird.  Easiest gun in the world to work on.
WHERE HEARTS AND MINDS MEET FAILURE DRILLS...TWO IN THE HEART AND ONE IN THE MIND.

07 FFL / 02 SOT

Offline Snotrub

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 10:53:38 am »
I was looking for a review of Riverfields to add to and this was the only one I found.  I know it's an old thread, but I'm going to contribute anyways.

I went to Riverfields today because I won a $50 gift certificate at the last registered skeet shoot at the AGC.  I figured I would buy a few boxes of shells for the State shoot this weekend.  The "older lady" as mentioned above was te only one int he store.  She seemed a bit gruff at first, but I softened her up with some of my charming quips.  She followed me around a for a little while then went back behind the counter.  I got 3 boxed of Fiocci 28ga shells and a cleaning cloth.  I was wanting Win AA shells, since that's what I reload, but they didn't have any.

All in all, I would say it's a nice store.  I didn't see anything that was tremendously overpriced. They had some good prices on a couple of pistols.  I saw a 45 S&W M&P for $369 on sale.  They also had a Remington R1 for $689, which is the same as Academy.  The shells I bought were a little pricey, but most 28ga shells are.  I'll go back next time I need a pistol or shotgun.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."

Offline Randy

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 12:05:49 am »
The old lady really talks down to you. Had that experience a few times then one day she and the owner were there. She couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Started to say something  but didn't. Have used the gunsmith before and he did a good job. Overheard the owner one day saying that he would match prices with other stores. Recently went in and they had closed half of the store and didn't have much stock at all.