Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I need advice/opinions..  (Read 841 times)

Offline bj_key2003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
  • New at this but excited!
    • View Profile
I need advice/opinions..
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:49:28 am »
I also posted this in Handgun section, but this section might be more appropriate:

Ok, gang, I'm at a crossroads and I'd like some advice from those with more experience than myself.
     I've recently started my gun collection with the general purpose(s) of SD, HD, range, and SHTF..etc. Before anyone says it, I am already set to purchase a Remington 870 12ga, a Ruger 10/22, and a .223 or .308 rifle to cover those "everyone must have" needs in the near future. This post is dealing with handguns only. In our house we have a CZ75BD (9mm) and two Walther PPQ's (9mm). We've decided to standardize to 9mm due to the fact that we have three kids (ages 10, 12, and 14) that can handle the platform well. (.45's a bit much for the younger and .40 is to close ballistically to the 9mm to have both, IMO) I love the PPQ's. They hold well, they shoot well, and feel wonderful in the hand. I'm having a hard time seeing them as a true SHTF pistol, though, compared to the Glock 9mm platform (17, 19, and 26), and here's why:
   I'm very familiar with the Gen3 G19 and can shoot it well. I read that the G17, G19, and G26 can all take the same mags (provided the length fits, of course. Not trying to put a G26 mag in a G17..) which is IMO a huge tactical advantage. I know that parts, mags, accessories, etc.. are abundant, easily found, and very affordable.

Long story short (TOO LATE): My quandry is should I keep both PPQ's and add the Glocks (which would take some time financially), or would it better serve my needs to sell one or both of the PPQ's to finance the start of the Glock platform changeover?
Function/affordability over beauty?

Is it practical to keep the PPQ's? I'm not going for a "collection", per se, but more for a functional set of arms for my family's ultimate well being.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Offline claw619

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice/opinions..
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »
I have a horrible mismatch of guns from various manufacturers. If I was rich enough to start over I would take your train of thought. One thing that popped in my head was sell the PPQs, buy glocks, then buy a Sub2000 from keltec that will take glock mags in 9mm. Once that is done pick up some glock 18 mags and a bunch of 147 grain 9mm and you start to stretch your range a lot on small weapons that kids and women can handle. My wife loves her 2000.
I tend to learn something and move on. That way I am not stuck at some destination.

Offline WrongWay

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice/opinions..
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
good thoughts Ben! 
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong. " 
Calvin Coolidge