Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best bags to use for BOBs?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Best bags to use for BOBs?
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:06 pm »
Kinda tryina get some ready u know for emergencies n such but was wondering what kinda bags ya'll would suggest for use? ATM just using what we have laying around (duffel bags old backpacks ect) figure thats better than nothing at all but wanna graduate into something more sturdy durable and dependable...any suggestions? Unless I wind up having more kids I'll just need 3 one for myself, my better half and my boy although he's only 2 LOL

Offline TAP

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Never Weaken
    • View Profile
Re: Best bags to use for BOBs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »
I use one of my hunting backpacks. Its just big enough for a go bag. It is a MOLLE compatable pack. Some people think you shouldnt use a military/hunting bag as it may draw unwanted attention in this sort of situation. I guess i dont worry about that.
The Zombies are a comin'

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:13:10 am »
Well that's what I was thinkin' too...I mean sure it'd be nice to have one of the fancier bags that would provide more space & such but given the situation u would find yourself in to need it anyhow I didn't think it would matter what u were using as long as it served the purpose for which it was intended...but thought I'd ask 'expert' advice from those who are probably more experienced than I in this sorta thing...

Offline Thumper

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:28 am »
Are we talking about Get Home Bags or Bug Out Bags?
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war. - Chogun Miyagi

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
well i suppose they'd almost be identical right? LOL I mean whether ur having to use it to get home or leave ur gonna need the proper items necessary for survival...

Offline RedStormRising

• New to AGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:17 pm »
I did a ton of research before buying my bag, Amazon reviews, YouTube videos, and what not.  I decided on the kelty redwing 50. Its a great durable bag that doesn't look tactical, so your not going to draw alot of attention, but it has tons of storage and is still small enough to take of in a dead run with. Here is a video with all the details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKLXsQk3sgM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Arrogant pacifism is a privilege bought with blood. 
-Mr Colion Noir-

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:29 pm »
Thanks Ryan....I was debating on whether or not to get a tactical bag myself...its the storage space I'm concerned with all the other stuff I'd be hypothetically able to remedy by bulking up or increasing stamina while the space of the bag is set LOL doesn't look like a bad bag tho...

Offline halesb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Training and Preparation
Best bags to use for BOBs?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »
Someone smarter than me said to put your BOB items together first, then buy the bag to fit it. If you buy the bag first, you end put extra kit in it. The extra stuff adds up.

Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain !
USMC
TCLEOSE Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock Instructor, Glock Armorer
Kimber 1911 Armorer
www.cmdtactical.com

Offline TAP

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Never Weaken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:48 am »
Kelty backpacks on sale @ Cabelas right now.
The Zombies are a comin'

Offline justdave

• Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:45 pm »
I keep a large kids backpack in my back seat with a Teddy bear sticking out of it...looks harmless and not worth jacking.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Frank Outlaw

Offline austin895

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:31 am »
I hear some comment about not having a bug out bag that draws attention. That you shouldn't use a military or tactical type. I feel in a bug out situation when there is chaos and or fog of war. If there are people out there wanting your stuff, it will not matter what your pack looks like. If you want a cheap and durable pack, I would recommend an old school ALICE pack. When I was in Marine infantry training we were issued medium ALICE packs. The packs we got were so old and worn out, but we still abused them and they worked with no problems. We would carry 75+ pounds in them constantly. I wouldn't recommend the large ALICE pack because you can overload yourself quickly with one of those. Make sure you get the pack with the frame.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." GEORGE ORWELL

Offline farmerboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:18:46 am »
I like these,because they look like a regular hiking pack. They are expensive but worth it to me to be "tactically discreet". The larger one
will fit a broken down ar and the smaller one easily fits a take down 10/22. They both have molle atachment places inside. Also both have
waistbands that are removable with zippered pockets.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Cherry%20Bomb%20and%20Secret%20Weapon.html

Offline Hoss

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »
Wow! those are the best packs Ive seen.  Looks worth the money if you got it.  The video was awesome as well. 

Offline KDUB75

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:49 pm »
I have actually been looking at a few different set ups for a BOB and a GHB. I am currently looking at an Oakley Kitchen sink for a GHB. But a BOB I agree with Austin895....a good ole ALICE pack is probably one of the best choices.
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!"

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:59 am »
Kinda tryina get some ready u know for emergencies n such but was wondering what kinda bags ya'll would suggest for use? ATM just using what we have laying around (duffel bags old backpacks ect) figure thats better than nothing at all but wanna graduate into something more sturdy durable and dependable...any suggestions? Unless I wind up having more kids I'll just need 3 one for myself, my better half and my boy although he's only 2 LOL

If the need should arise when he is still small you will most likely end up carrying the baby anywhere you go on foot.  You might consider a small cart for the baby to ride in which would also provide a bit more room for carrying other things as well depending on the size of the cart. 

Last summer I bought a trike (pedal powered) with a fairly large rack on the back of it that I can load stuff on.  Brett and I fixed eye bolts around the edge of the rack for tie downs and also to be able to attach the dog leads to.  I have practiced riding it with them a lot and they really like it.  Plan on getting back to it when the weather permits and adding some weight to the rack to build my endurance.  Plus riding will help me with my next endeavor which is getting some weight off.  win/win  I also plan to purchase back packs for the dogs as well; they can carry up to 25% of their body weight with practice.  Between all of my dogs that is around another 80 - 100 that they could carry.

As for the backpacks we have they are just standard low end hiking packs.  During the wildfire season I keep them stocked for emergency evacuation.  A change of cloths, granola bars, some cash, phone charger, stuff for the critters.  I always keep a loaded pistol close to the door so I could grab it on the way out.  I have all the dogs trained to go straight from the house to the car when they go places with me.  If I run out of room in the expedition I guess I can stuff the cats and the bunny in their kennels and strap them to the luggage rack on the roof; not ideal for transporting but it beats burning alive. lol
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »
Very true Jess....I wanna trike too just not the human-powered kind  :lol: but still workin' that thru my Congress LMAO

Offline Thumper

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

well i suppose they'd almost be identical right? LOL I mean whether ur having to use it to get home or leave ur gonna need the proper items necessary for survival...

No, actually, they wouldn't.    If I am at work or somewhere around town or just outside of town, and I was  trying to get back to my house (in the middle of town) in the event that something kicked off that required such gear (natural disaster, unnatural disaster, etc) , then I don't need a monster pack.    Something that I could carry a small first aid kit, some water, some ammo, stuff like that.   That's the reason I asked.   I hear people refer to both as BOB's.   I had suggestions for the smaller GHB if that was more your intent. 
This bag was referenced in another thread topic in this section.
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/17/ultimate-bug-out-bag-revealed-at-shot-show/
That is a GHB, not a BOB.  However, it is being called a BOB.  (Hence why I asked your intent).

But for a BOB, I would like to have a Eberlestock Phantom.   It has an integrated rifle pack as part of the main pack.   Lots of storage, adjustable fit.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Phantom%20Backpack.htm

They are kind of pricey.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:10:46 pm by Thumper »
The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war. - Chogun Miyagi

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 05:57:02 pm »
I am 71 and have come to realize that I can pack a whole lot more than I can pick up much less carry.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788