Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: It's getting to be garden time again! What are you planting?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Texas Titan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: It's getting to be garden time again! What are you planting?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »
Oh, and the thing that has done the best for me is cantaloupe! I had some last time I grew them that were as big as a large football and very sweet.

Yep, Cantaloupe grows for me. My last garden had cants and watermelons but they didn't get big. The watermelons were hilarious, they were the size of a cantaloupe. They did taste good , but were "fun sized" and I know the seeds were from full sized melons. I grew white pumpkins too.

Texas Titan - you might also try putting a layer of that black weed blocking fabric underneath the tire; we used that in a raised bed garden a few years ago and it seemed to do the trick.

We finally go our green house in that we ordered a while back and Brett and I put most of it together yesterday but we ran out of daylight and he had to go back to work early this AM so we will finish getting it together on his next days off.

I'm using newspaper, 8-10 layers. That way when the garden is done I'll just pull up the tires and till the soil. I don't know how well it will work, but I will find out. I have heard cardboard will work too, newspaper is easier for me to get.

I don't plan to start much from seeds this year. Where would be the best place to get starter plants from?

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »
Oh, and the thing that has done the best for me is cantaloupe! I had some last time I grew them that were as big as a large football and very sweet.

Yep, Cantaloupe grows for me. My last garden had cants and watermelons but they didn't get big. The watermelons were hilarious, they were the size of a cantaloupe. They did taste good , but were "fun sized" and I know the seeds were from full sized melons. I grew white pumpkins too.

Texas Titan - you might also try putting a layer of that black weed blocking fabric underneath the tire; we used that in a raised bed garden a few years ago and it seemed to do the trick.

We finally go our green house in that we ordered a while back and Brett and I put most of it together yesterday but we ran out of daylight and he had to go back to work early this AM so we will finish getting it together on his next days off.

I'm using newspaper, 8-10 layers. That way when the garden is done I'll just pull up the tires and till the soil. I don't know how well it will work, but I will find out. I have heard cardboard will work too, newspaper is easier for me to get.

I don't plan to start much from seeds this year. Where would be the best place to get starter plants from?

I use Panhandle Greenhouses on South Washington mostly for convenience because they are close by; but I prefer Coulter Gardens.  If I am going to make a big purchase or need advice I always choose the latter.
Another day in this carnival of souls
Another night settles in as quickly as it goes
The memories are shadows, ink on the page
And I can't seem to find my way home

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:08 am »
 my parents have had great luck with everything except strawberries, ive heard that if you add sand into the soil then they grow well. they grow jalapenos, tomatoes, okra, onions (green and Yellow), silver queen corn, green beans, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe and no telling what else. they put up about 100 to150 (pints and quarts) jars every year. 18 years of that and swear i will never grow another garden and torture my kids like that. they have 6 peach trees and if they dont freeze out then they can a bunch of them too. dont even get me started on pitting wild plums, theyre is a reason why they sell jelly in the store, because noone should have to endure that cruel and unusual punishment! they control weeds down the rows with cardboard, and till it in the next spring. weed control around the plants is done by grass clippings. dont row water like they do on a farm, just set up a yard sprinkler in the middle. you can wrap your tomatoe plants around the cages with saran wrap next fall and when you see a ripe tomato, cut a slit and reach in to pick it. tomatos will ripen in a window if you pick them all before it freezes too. the absolute best pickle seasoning is miss freshleys, and you can make christmas pickles out of your cucumbers too, they are really good. if you plant corn around the perimeter then it will help keep the wind from drying out your garden. they plant there garden out by the barn and the rain helps to water it too, when and if we ever get any.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 12:32:51 am »
also, never tear off the vegetable from the plant, cut it with hand shears or scissors

Offline mrbigtexan

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:00 am »
and if you want pinto beans, just buy a bag from the grocery store and plant them, its alot cheaper than buying as seed from the gardening aisle.

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »
Mrbigtex, I use some of those techniques myself.
Mine has a barn on the north side, but the hot summer south winds can be harsh. I planted 3 rows of corn on the south side, and it took a beating, lol. None of it got over 4 feet tall, the far row was only 3 feet tall, and the corn got worms anyways.

I.m gonna put up a black mesh barrier this year.

The corn and beans i,'ve planted came from the grocery store too. But this year I want to focus on more expensive produce. I can buy corn onions potatoes and such, so cheap that it's not really worth growing except for fun.

So definetly gonna try brocoli, various peppers, and tommmatoes.

Offline amarillobluesman13

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:25 pm »
I'm just curious....what kind of fencing do/have ya'll used and what works/doesn't work? Got a LONG way to go on what I have in mind for my property (that is if I decide to stay in Amarillo which isn't certain at this point but I'ma guy who likes to have a backup plan for the backup plan lol however implementation has NEVER been my forte..  :lol:) but trying to plot out EVERYTHING for my acreage so that I KNOW I can fit it all (I've got one acre set aside for my Pops & his heavy machinery, an acre for my house & typical stuff associated with it, an 'entertainment acre' equipped with a band-stand {I'm a musician what can I say? LMAO} a firepit with amphitheater-inspired seating around said pit with {in my head anyways} railroad ties 'stabilized' by compacted dirt and a cool moat around the perimeter if I got enough of the rock I have access to and of course a lounging area with the BBQ essentials, an acre for an NFL-regulation sized football field {cuz it'd be COOL to have an actual one to play on and plus I could feasibly 'rent' it out for practices and such to get a lil extra change in the pocket and I know quite a few ppl who play} and last but not least, the 'survival and preparedness' acre complete with a mini-play area for "Baby" although I'm not quite sure if that's enough space for THAT and your other typical set-ups for keeping in shape {first I gotta GET there to keep it right? LOL)...
what was I saying again? LMAO sorry....I get sidetracked easy....damn scatter-brain o' mine.... :lol:

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »
To be honest I don't really garden for the "survival and preparedness." I do it mostly for the excersice and experience. A gym membership and trainer are a waste of money, as I have an old front tine rototiller that will break the spirit and the body of most people.

Previously I just used 2 foot chicken wire with a fence charger, but it didn't do much for wind protection, so this year I'm using some construction site mesh as somewhat of a windbreak. Other than that, just pick a spot that is fairly level and exposed to the southern sun.

Start small if you are gonna do it by yourself, it can be a lot more work than you expect.

Offline Rancher

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Richard Henry Lee on "militia"in the 2nd Amendment
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 02:26:09 pm »
Blackeye Peas, Contender bush beans, okra, and some radishes between rows with tomatoes in old wood whiskey half barrels . I am out of room.  Two 12 ft. x 3 ft. raised gardens in back. Wife would not let me till whole yard and grow food instead of spending money on water, fertilizer, and weed killer to grow grass that I then have to cut over and over on to repeat the next year in stead of food that is fresh and better than store bought.  We usually vaccum pack and freeze some for later in year.

Rancher
Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.--Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 03:15:53 pm »
Yeah I'll prolly start small but wanna have enough room to move around w/o being cramped in while working and also if I decide to go bigger but never have had much of a green thumb kinda tryina learn by doing (the ONLY way anything seems to stick....u can talk and talk to me giving instructions or what not but if I've never done it ur just wasting breath LOL)....I was thinking of putting up a picket fence but didn't know if it would block too much sunlight which isn't in short supply where I'm at as I have NO wind blockers except for the rinky dink excuse of a 'garage' I have lol

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 08:25:24 pm »
I'm just curious....what kind of fencing do/have ya'll used and what works/doesn't work? Got a LONG way to go on what I have in mind for my property (that is if I decide to stay in Amarillo which isn't certain at this point but I'ma guy who likes to have a backup plan for the backup plan lol however implementation has NEVER been my forte..  :lol:) but trying to plot out EVERYTHING for my acreage so that I KNOW I can fit it all (I've got one acre set aside for my Pops & his heavy machinery, an acre for my house & typical stuff associated with it, an 'entertainment acre' equipped with a band-stand {I'm a musician what can I say? LMAO} a firepit with amphitheater-inspired seating around said pit with {in my head anyways} railroad ties 'stabilized' by compacted dirt and a cool moat around the perimeter if I got enough of the rock I have access to and of course a lounging area with the BBQ essentials, an acre for an NFL-regulation sized football field {cuz it'd be COOL to have an actual one to play on and plus I could feasibly 'rent' it out for practices and such to get a lil extra change in the pocket and I know quite a few ppl who play} and last but not least, the 'survival and preparedness' acre complete with a mini-play area for "Baby" although I'm not quite sure if that's enough space for THAT and your other typical set-ups for keeping in shape {first I gotta GET there to keep it right? LOL)...
what was I saying again? LMAO sorry....I get sidetracked easy....damn scatter-brain o' mine.... :lol:

I have a greenhouse now but that is to help protect the garden from the wind and direct sun  more than critters.  I have a mean ass cat that we have nick named the "neighborhood rodent terrorist"; he kills everything that comes in the yard that doesn't belong there; birds, rabbits, mice and snakes.  We used to have cottontails in our yard every morning now I only see them in the neighbors yard so I guess the word got out, lol. 

The only problem we really had was when the cat was inside the neighbors dog kept pissing on my tomato plants. 

Dinkidao

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:47 am »
Every time I think it's time put the tomato's and peppers out, it freezes again... >:(

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 02:35:18 am »
Every time I think it's time put the tomato's and peppers out, it freezes again... >:(

I know!  This flipping weather is crazy.  I started some tomato and pepper seedlings in my kitchen window so hopefully by the last frost date (April 24) I will have some plants to put out. 

Offline Jamey

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »

Wait until you see the mesquite bushes budding. Then, you'll be good to go.

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »
Finally got my tomatoes planted

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58:48 pm »
Went ur route Jess and starred growin some veggies n one of then mini greenhouse thingys and man they grow FAST! I find myself havin to hurry up and try to get the raised bed ready to put em n cuz theyre already starting to get big...that and get a fence up but hving a hard tine tryina figure out how tp get a 5' 2x6 to stretch an extra foot  :rofl:

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:32 pm »
I planted some broccoli plants last month, they survived the freezes under coffee cans but hasn't really put on a lot of growth.
Planted a couple strawberry plants a little after the broccoli, and they survived under coffee cans too.

Had some cucumber seeds planted and the sprouts didn't survive, they didn't make it past the first two leaves and the freezes got 'em.
I replanted those seeds and planted my other melon, squash, and veggie seeds.
I got some tomato plants planted when I did the seeds.
I planted some Birdhouse gourd seeds, and I am almost positive a feral cat ate the only sprout because it disappeared over night. >:(

I said last year I wasn't going to mess with seeds, but man it is really hard for me to pay what the stores want for just a few starter plants.  A pack of seeds goes a LOT further even if only 1 out of 10 survives to maturity.

I will most likely invest in a HF green house in the future, and probably should have bought one when they were on sale before spring.

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 10:33:36 pm »
I also found you can kill a rabbit with a CO2 BB gun.

I was just trying to get it to move along....

Offline txwildflower45

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 11:11:15 pm »
This is the greenhouse that we bought.  We have had it up for a couple of months now and the structure has held up well under the wind.  Then only thing that didn't fare well was the door.  It has zippers down both sides and the wind ripped the seam out of one side so it is pretty damaged beyond repair.  It doesn't really affect function of the greenhouse though because I was going to keep the door rolled up anyway for airflow to keep the flies at bay (as advised by one of the local nurseries.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ashelterlogic+greenhouse&keywords=shelterlogic+greenhouse&ie=UTF8&qid=1368417970

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 01:15:55 pm »
I made my first "harvest" of the year. A small puny strawberry growing in one of those hanging baskets in my house.

I have 6 strawbs planted in the garden and they seem more healty. They have a few berries near ripe.

Technically, this is the second thing....I tried some of my brocoli but didn't like the flavor. IDK if it is the soil, the plant variety, or what. I decided to just let the plants flower.

Still waiting on tomatoes....

Offline HollowPoint

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:25 am »
Well I went the lazy way and planted tomatoes, bell peppers and japs in 5 gallon buckets. So far everything is doing well but i worry about the tomatoes outgrowing the buckets.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin