Username: Password:

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best Investments ?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline DISPENSER4HIRE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Best Investments ?
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:44 am »
These are items I believe are the best place to put your money, in no particular order.
1. Precious Metals, gold, silver, lead, copper. (ammo)
2. A medium to large freezer. Fill it with items on sale, and from your garden.
3. A year's supply of food, soap, TP, propane, bleach, and everything you used daily.
4. Survival type books in hardcopy as well a pdf. Where There Is No Doctor, etc.
5. Water storage, twice as much as you think you need, along with a water filter.
6. Battery chargers, with car adapters rechargable batteries, and battery powered LED lanterns.
7. Alternative cooking, solar oven, cast iron for cooking over an open fire.
8. Bic, or similar lighters would be wonderful items for trade.
9. Lots of warm, preferably wool blankets, and sleeping bags.
10. A bicycle, for transportation when gas is gone, along with tire patches, and pump.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:43:23 pm by DISPENSER4HIRE »
NEVER allow the government to know where all the guns are!
We need not justify the exercise of our rights to would-be tyrants
We are not subjects. We are not serfs. We are not slaves.

Offline Texas Titan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Best Investments ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »
lot of unecassary  stuff there.

The only thing a person needs to survive is:
1. The knowledge to stay alive.
2. A good gun and some knives helps.

It's more important to have a plan and backup plans than a bunch of stuff to slow you down.

If the Native American Indian didn't need all that junk, why should I?
Precious metals will lose their value as fast as everything else that is useless.  Clean Water is the most valuable commodity of all. Good land is the second.

Offline dawson55

• Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:02 pm »

It's more important to have a plan and backup plans than a bunch of stuff to slow you down.

Precious metals will lose their value as fast as everything else that is useless.  Clean Water is the most valuable commodity of all. Good land is the second.

For years the native american didn't need knives or guns.

You never know the true definition of mine, until you have children.

Offline Texas Titan

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
That's why I said "helps", I didn't say they were necessary.

They can easily be carried by even a child, and don't require a great deal of knowledge to use.

The American Indian may have survived without them, but they didn't have a lot of sucess defending themselves without them.

If you can't easily walk  50 miles with it, you don't need it.

Offline DISPENSER4HIRE

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 04:36:25 pm »
To those of you, who have both the level of fitness, and training that allows you to survive carrying nothing but a knife, while walking 50 miles a day, you have my envy, and admiration.  I did go through a military survival school 38 years ago, but I certainly couldn't do it again today.
We all have different capabilities, and plan for different eventualities. I do acknowledge that some scenarios, I am completely unprepared for, and that some of those would require me to leave my home. On the other hand, I have to say, that my primary response to an emergency does not include going to a FEMA camp nor living in the most primitive conditions imaginable...... walking 50 miles a day isn't in the plan either.
I would like to address a few items.  Gold, and silver are the best way I know to preserve wealth IF there is an end to an emergency situation.  If we are talking an end to the world with no other side to the emergency, then they have limited value.  I invested in the precious metals lead, and copper, when they were relatively cheap, and available.  I have not spent any time in line waiting for Academy to open, or had to check with Walmart 3 times a week looking for ammo in stock.  A well fed gun is a happy gun, and mine are happy.
You are welcome to call me old, soft, and weak, but I greatly prefer using toilet paper to a knife, or a handful of sand.  I am just built that way. I would also much rather walk 50 feet instead of 50 miles, for a primary, and back up means of obtaining food, water, light, entertainment, warmth, and means of cooking my food.
I would not know where to begin in carrying shelter that would have me prepared to go from a beautiful day near 70, to the beginning of 19 inches of snow, and 75 mph wind that night, and following day.
I guess my point is two fold:
1. I don't see an emergency as a reason to live at bare subsistence level.  In many cases my standard of living would not be extremely affected for the 1st year.
2. The post was titled good INVESTMENTS.  I believe having what I listed is a much better investment than money in the bank, or shares of xxx stock.
You milage may vary, and your plans are your own, but this is my point of view.

Offline TAP

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Never Weaken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:01 pm »
I would highly doubt that very many people have the same survival skills as Native Americans.
The Zombies are a comin'

Offline WrongWay

• Donating Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:14 pm »
To those of you, who have both the level of fitness, and training that allows you to survive carrying nothing but a knife, while walking 50 miles a day, you have my envy, and admiration.  I did go through a military survival school 38 years ago, but I certainly couldn't do it again today.
We all have different capabilities, and plan for different eventualities. I do acknowledge that some scenarios, I am completely unprepared for, and that some of those would require me to leave my home. On the other hand, I have to say, that my primary response to an emergency does not include going to a FEMA camp nor living in the most primitive conditions imaginable...... walking 50 miles a day isn't in the plan either.
I would like to address a few items.  Gold, and silver are the best way I know to preserve wealth IF there is an end to an emergency situation.  If we are talking an end to the world with no other side to the emergency, then they have limited value.  I invested in the precious metals lead, and copper, when they were relatively cheap, and available.  I have not spent any time in line waiting for Academy to open, or had to check with Walmart 3 times a week looking for ammo in stock.  A well fed gun is a happy gun, and mine are happy.
You are welcome to call me old, soft, and weak, but I greatly prefer using toilet paper to a knife, or a handful of sand.  I am just built that way. I would also much rather walk 50 feet instead of 50 miles, for a primary, and back up means of obtaining food, water, light, entertainment, warmth, and means of cooking my food.
I would not know where to begin in carrying shelter that would have me prepared to go from a beautiful day near 70, to the beginning of 19 inches of snow, and 75 mph wind that night, and following day.
I guess my point is two fold:
1. I don't see an emergency as a reason to live at bare subsistence level.  In many cases my standard of living would not be extremely affected for the 1st year.
2. The post was titled good INVESTMENTS.  I believe having what I listed is a much better investment than money in the bank, or shares of xxx stock.
You milage may vary, and your plans are your own, but this is my point of view.

I would agree on a lot of your ideas.  50 miles a day for simple survival with bare essentials would be horrible. But most of us could figure it out and have the "day pack"  size kit in a very few minutes..  Just pray it never gets that far
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong. " 
Calvin Coolidge

Dinkidao

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:09 pm »
Dispenser4hire, I think your list was good and I applaud you for having a plan.  However, one thing you might add is a generator and fuel, or solar system.  Several items on your list depend on electricty.  In my life I have twice lost a freezer full of food because of power outage.  Just a thought.

We all know that one cannot plan for every scenario, but at least have a basic plan.  I am perhaps like you, too old and not physically fit to head across country on foot.  I was once a young Marine, but that was nearly 45 years ago.  Although my brothers and I maintain a cache in three different states, I made the decision last year that I would most likely have to stand my ground wherever I was when the apocalypse came.

As for those who choose not to plan and fantasize about being the next Rambo, they will be the ones trying to kill you or steal from you!

Offline rdm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
the BEST investment?GUNS GUNS AND MORE GUNS.this did not seem to be on your list maybe it was taken for granted you have plenty.you can always trade guns and they do not seem to lose value much.in particular during an emergency situation they would become even more valuable.

Offline DISPENSER4HIRE

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »
A generator, is something I would like to have. I would like a quiet, tri-fuel generator to run on natural gas. I think natural gas would probably be the last thing to stop working. Storing gasoline for a generator seems problematic for long term. Like many things, $$ tends to delay getting everything I would like to have. My freezer, and central heat/air are most vulnerable to an electricity outage.
I plan to stay in my home, unless tornados, or other events force me out. I feel my survivability is much greater if I can stay home.
Guns, guns, and more guns, I assume everyone on a gun board has, or is getting guns.  I wonder how many people with guns have gotten professional training on using those guns?  How about having a good stock of ammo for those guns? In todays political climate ammo is already difficult to find.  I wonder how long professional training will be available to civilians?  We obviously don't need that kind of skill, when big sis will take care of us??????

Offline Wrighton

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »
Have to agree that any plan is better than no plan, and planning for varying degrees of Chaos would not be a bad idea.  If food became short for a a few months and i had some in the freezer, I did good, if all I had were knives because i could carry them for 50 miles, I would be hungry.  If food ran out for 2 years, the knives would probably be a better long term investment.  Again, any plan is still better than sticking your head in the sand.
Thats just crazy talk.

Offline Lano

• Donating Member
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »

I am going to add some fuel to this fire.  I have a friend who is moving to Arizona.  He sold his home here and made a modest proffit  on it.  He asked his finiancial advisor where the best place to invest the money was.  He was told to buy silver and to keep it close for six months to a year.  Food for thought.  I have read several articals of possible economic collapse.  Makes a person wonder.  I am sure you can read just about every viewpoint possible on the "net."  I still like the old Boy Scout motto " Be prepared."
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans."  -General Robert E. Lee

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 11:11:05 pm »
He, who is best prepared, is prepared for the worst.

What I ask any to consider, is that if any plan you may have is contingent on staying within a high density urban area, then your plans need not extend beyond a two week period.
Why? but of course......because of human social psychology.
Most are of course aware that any urban area has, at any given time, a number of bad people. Druggies, thieves, so on and so on. So, naturally, we tend to concentrate on these types when making considerations.
Actually though, there is a yet unseen group, that will not only take you by surprise, but are a much higher threat than the "bad guys" we know and deal with today. These, are the desperate. While the "old" bad guys are driven by a mixture of laziness and self service, the desperate are driven by adrenaline and panic. After two weeks, the number of "desperate" could begin to increase two-fold, by the day. (DHS is planning on this...hence their "zombie" training)
Generators seem like a good idea, but they are noisy, and anyone that hears one, will know where to find gasoline, and most likely extra provisions. If I had to plan on staying within a large population, my only stash would be food, guns, knives, and ammo, and I would be building hidden rooms, storages, false walls, to conceal any extra I had in case of any searches/break-ins.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:15:34 pm by G21C »

Offline gunjunkie

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:16 pm »
I noticed that gold went down $130/oz today.
"He who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline G21C

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 12:19:58 am »
So, how bad is the market going to tank this time?

Offline pretzel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Super Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 6
  • Airborne Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:59 am »
Paper gold is down now but the gold you can touch is still holding its own. I believe the paper is not backed up with anything. You cant find any physical gold or sillver now. No one is selling it. So it really didnt go down very much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:43:32 am by pretzel »
I carry a gun, I do
not to protect me, but you!
me Chief Iwanapokayote---aka the Grim Yotereaper, in a earlier life Von-yote-pokes-alot

Offline gunjunkie

• Donating Member
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
Paper gold is down now but the gold you can touch is still holding its own. I believe the paper is not backed up with anything. You cant find any physical gold or sillver now. No one is selling it. So it really didnt go down very much.
Agreed, unless desperate, no one is going to sell when price is down.
"He who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehood and errors."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dmooreal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 02:35:40 am »
Agreed, unless desperate, no one is going to sell when price is down.

Gold went down due to a rumors. There was quite a bit to this that I don't care to try to explain but gold is just like the stock market in some ways that it can be driven by rumors. Gold and silver are still a good investment. I am still buying it and will continue...there are less people selling their gold jewelry and coins but deals are still out there, they are just fewer and farther between.

Just a little advise to those of you that think they would like to buy jewelry, stay away from white gold. For those of us that invest in coins and jewelry it is worthless due to the small amount of gold in it...white gold is a jewelry stores scam that they created when gold started getting so high. Stick to the real thing and never anything gold plated. Also, diamonds are another item that look real pretty but it was a market that was created and cornered by De Beers, they did this through a marketing campaign years ago. I don't know how many times I have heard but the diamond is such and such, my common answer is I will be glad to pull the diamond(s) out and you can keep it or them...in other words your diamonds are worthless to me and I'm not buying the diamonds I'm buying the gold or silver.

Offline ksmart

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

Question.... When the native Americans did it, did they have the entire US Government at once after them trying to put them in FEMA Camps and all the things we're about to face?

Offline gyz77

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Gun Enthusiast
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 11:00:59 pm »
Tell me why gold goes down when the Stock market goes down. I'm not an investment guy but I have followed the stock market since I was in Jr high. Gold/Silver always rose when the market fell. Why now does it do the opposite? Who's controlling it? It's the 18 trillion dollar question!